I have seen it be “contagious” in my flock, but not to that extent.
I have several from supposedly broody breeds & they're the ones I have to watch: 1 Aracauna, 1 Barred Rock & 2 Wyandotte Bantams. As soon as the weather started warming up the Aracauna & both Bantams sat. 🙄 At present they are being fairly easily dissuaded, thank goodness!

What are blitzers? I have a Speckled Sussex. She is soooo sweet amd soooo soft, not to mention beautiful! However, she acts like a complete nut during molt or if she goes broody.
A bitzer has bits of this, bits of that :) both Ivy and Peggy are bitzers.

Cashew sat on nothing before I got her chicks last year. :)

One time when Charlie was broody, I took her egg away from her and lifted her off the nest. Next thing I know, she stole Chickie’s egg, rolled it into the nest and sat on that! :lau She only had to roll it half a foot.:D

I don't know. You declined the white legbars last week. That wouldn't have been easy.
Extremely hard. I still wobble occasionally. I got the, "well let me know if you change your mind" response when I said no.

One of the things that helped me to resist was watching the flock interest in the run the other day. They are much more unkind to Sydney and Phyllis when they are confined. They have tons of available space. Not counting the coop there is ~150 square feet of available run for them with multiple feeding and watering stations. But it seems like they go out of their way to keep Phyllis and Sydney from enjoying anything, from a drink of water to a simple bath. I had to fend them off so Phyllis could dust bathe in peace.

The whole thing gave me pause about adding anyone else to this environment. I know Ned and Lucky, who grew up with them, stayed on the porch, on top of things in the run, or in the coop so they would not be harassed by the Stygian Witches, Aurora, Lilly, and Sansa.

It all just gave me pause. While free ranging everything is much calmer and everyone seems to get along much better. I don't know if it will be snowy this winter, you never do going into it. It was not last winter when I integrated 3 new hens in February. If it is, they are going to have to coexist in that complex. I wonder how disappointed I will be with their behaviour should that come to pass.

Who are you calling witches!
20200930_073619.jpg

What are blitzers? I have a Speckled Sussex. She is soooo sweet amd soooo soft, not to mention beautiful! However, she acts like a complete nut during molt or if she goes broody.
Bitters are a little bit of this, a litttle bit of that, and a little bit of the other.

Oh my gosh. I came in to see what was happening at Rooster Bob's place and saw this video. That is so funny!! :lol: Phyllis jumps up and carries on like nothing ever happened, hoping no one saw it. :gig
Hey there! Great to see you here again. You have been missed. Glad we could give you a chuckle. :gig

Back
Top Bottom