Maggie
I hope you all don't mind but I am going to post some pictures and videos of Maggie over the next few days as a pre-death memorial.
It seems she is just too ornery to die even though the vet says she will soon and offered to euthanize her.
But we agreed she is still enjoying her chicken life and so there is no need to end it today. The vet is only about 20 mins away and can euthanize her at short notice if her quality of life goes down.
Meanwhile, she seems to be enjoying herself.
He gave me a few things to look out for if she is feeling unwell, and in the meantime I plan to spoil her rotten. Corn? Meal worms? Banana? Blueberries? She gets whatever she wants!
Here is to you Maggie - a life well lived however short.

:hugs:hugs:hugs
It's lovely to watch her RC. You'd never know that there was anything wrong. ❤

What did this?

I mentioned yesterday that there had been an incident which is keeping the ladies in there run. Maybe you can all help me to figure this out.

Here is everyone enjoying quality time together as a family.
View attachment 2352854

Timing: this all takes place during the afternoon while the flock is free ranging.

When collecting eggs the other day there had been another smashed one. I removed the remains from the box when I gathered the other eggs. This does limit my egg smasher to be one of the three that have been laying, Aurora, Sydney, or Sansa. It's not Hattie (sorry for blaming you sweetie).

Well, having discarded the remains, I collected the eggs and went back in the house figuring I would deal with cleaning up the nest later. Aurora and Hattie took care of the remains for me.

This is what I found when I came back later to clean up.

View attachment 2352858

Something was missing. The green ceramic egg was missing. At first I thought they had kicked it into the main coop, but it was not there. It was nowhere to be found.

I eventually found it under the magnolia tree! :eek:
View attachment 2352876

Some how the egg moved from the nest box to the magnolia tree during the day. This is the distance it traveled.

View attachment 2352878

Now my chickens do not wear pants, so no pockets, they don't have purses or backpacks, so I think I can rule them out. They have no way to carry the egg.

What would enter the coop during the day and try to make off with an egg? What should I be watching for?

Most egg thieves work at night, like skunks. What could it be?

Whatever it was had to be very disappointed. The ceramic egg was not edible. So there is that. Perhaps that will discourage a return visit. Well that and a locked up coop and run.
Chickens are fast on their feet. Perhaps they have taken up soccer and are practicing their dribbling? ;)

Here are the babies on my lap tonight. You can see one of my wood piles next to the bunny enclosure (old trampoline). The big girls have been having a good time in the garden.
Off to play Chase the Rat!
View attachment 2355397
They are so adorable. :love :love

Missing the Mooch

There are some days where her super personality just seems to be missing from the flock. She sure could spot food and wasn't shy about asking for it. 😁

20201001_074655.jpg

Miss you Bestie. 🥰

Well, OK then! I must bring up the 2nd peanut butter incident. :oops: I WAS indeed thinking "Wait - wasn't there something with peanut butter on it that drove the chickens crazy before this?" Then there were no comments about that. I was left doubting my own sanity. How can I be the only one to remember that? But I have a theory!

It must be because it's fresher, reading the posts faster than they would have been laid down in real-time. So of course I instantly recalled a previous peanut butter incident. But I think there's more to it. It must be that there's a sort of time compression, and in effect I'm not actually aging while I catch up, not as fast as you and everyone else going along this thread in real time. Of course I will eventually age to the same degree, but that will happen MUCH LATER in the posts: in the future actually. Those of us catching up on this thread are in effect YOUNGER than everyone here we're reading, and our minds are still sharp! :gig This will last until we catch up to the present posts, according to this theory. That, however, as @drstratton said, will be many, many many.....so many days in the future. :old
OMG! I think I found a kindred spirit!!! :highfive: Now I'm considering going back to the old days when I used to follow this thread and catch up on peanut butter stories. I've been feeling old lately, and I'm sure this is exactly what I need to do to reclaim my younger me!!! In a sense, I'll be time traveling back to a younger day, and perhaps I'll linger there for a while. 🤔 Maybe I'll spend many, many, many days there and for me it wont be reliving the past because it will be the present for me, so I'll actually be in the past, and that will be now for me. :ya So, I'll pop back in to the present in a few days, but that will be way in the future for me, once I go back into the past and make it my present. 🎁

OMG! I think I found a kindred spirit!!! :highfive: Now I'm considering going back to the old days when I used to follow this thread and catch up on peanut butter stories. I've been feeling old lately, and I'm sure this is exactly what I need to do to reclaim my younger me!!! In a sense, I'll be time traveling back to a younger day, and perhaps I'll linger there for a while. 🤔 Maybe I'll spend many, many, many days there and for me it wont be reliving the past because it will be the present for me, so I'll actually be in the past, and that will be now for me. :ya So, I'll pop back in to the present in a few days, but that will be way in the future for me, once I go back into the past and make it my present. 🎁
This is great! See you there!

I love this. Best of luck to you whenever you are!

Maggie and friends
I know there are many funnier pictures of this phenomenon, and unfortunately it shows how I need to finish up run#1 of the Chicken Palace which is looking like a construction site, but I love how they all rush out when I open the door from inside, and then realize I stayed inside and all turn around and come back in.
Something about my chickens on their ladder always makes me smile and Maggie is still full of beans.

Back
Top Bottom