This love affair explains all of her problems in the roost.

She has a Long-Distance Love Interest: She gets special Love Letters from BLU.

She has access to high-tech BeakBook / BeakTime sessions with him.

It looks like she drinks coffee or tea also, something forbidden to chickens, but not this chicken!

As is also apparent now, she has a High-Fashion Photographer at her disposal, because her head shots are gorgeous. She posts regularly and her social media following is blowing up!

Then she flaunts those beautiful head feathers as she sashays all over the yard, singing Marlene Dietrich's "Falling In Love Again, Can't Help It", possibly in another language since she's a Polish chicken, well-traveled and very worldly.

Though she may be very nice actually, it sounds to all who hear as if she's just bragging about everything.

No wonder everyone at Fluffy Butt Acres is jealous! Denying her a roosting spot is their only Power Play in this situation.
Well played! (did Bob already say that?) 😊

Reassurance needed.
You all know I am sensitive to molting pictures. And that is partly because this is my first molting season.
Maggie is hit badly (nowhere near as badly as Alice was) and I worry.
I am 90% sure this is normal and it is her pin feathers growing but I took a picture of poor Maggie’s not-very-fluffy-butt (sorry Maggie) just to get reassurance from you all - my chicken@-ey friends.
This is normal right?
View attachment 2379580
Poor sweetie. Yep. 100% normal. It looks just like Lucky’s butt. The others are past that point, except for the 1.5 year olds, who haven’t started! Anyway, Maggie is fine. At least, molting wise. I actually look forward to molt for the ones whose reproductive systems worry me. It gives them a break.

Last edited:
I don’t mind their call at all... I just find it very funny that a lot of the advertising you see featuring bald eagles feels the need to sub in Hawk calls instead. They aren’t too bad for the chickens here, but they can be devastating at lambing time. I will say I much prefer the vocalizations of our ravens. They have their own Very distinct and complex language, and you can hear them actually “talking” to each other. Plus, they are why I don’t have more problems with the hawks and eagles!
Yes, this! Don’t they (bald eagles) always sub in a Red Tailed Hawk call?

I love the raven language, too. They do those interesting clacky sounds.

The owl that decimated my flocks earlier (7 birds!!!) was a barred owl, a smallish but aggressive and territorial owl, which is an invasive species here and known for driving out other native owl species. It was only a few pounds actually, and had a tiny body under the many fluffy feathers. Nothing that goes on a wanton killing spree like that is allowed to stay here though. I wouldn’t underestimate the hawk, even if they are small. I’ve had a few Hawk stoops, all smaller sharp shinned or Cooper’s hawks (I think... ID’s are hard when they dive that fast) but thankfully my Roosters have been alert, and they aren’t those scary crazy goshawks! As in they didn’t dive under or through the cover my flock was using.
I cannot tell the sharp shinned, coopers and red shouldered apart. One of them has the barred tail, but the bars are lighter, along with the rest if its body, and the wings seem thicker. Is that the red shouldered?

There is no feed out, but they know there is feed inside and they systematically check the Palace defenses. But whenever the fence is on they do not come near. I think they can tell the fence is on - maybe because they know the meaning of the click sound it makes or they sense the field?
I have never actually shocked one but they 100% know to stay away when it is on.
Mine are definitely rural - they come in from the woods - I thought they looked extremely well fed. Positively chunky! Even allowing for a thick coat ready for winter I would not say that family are starving!
Love the remote idea but because I was intimidated by setting up the fence (no need I mastered it fine) I got a really basic charger - it has a nice chunky mechanical switch which is very reassuring, but does require me to go out and turn it on. I think in winter I might just leave it on all the time.
RC, I might need to pick your brain on the fence!

It's a bit disconcerting I find. I immediately think there is some kind of problem in their keeping arrangements I should be addressing. Tap has been crowing after egg laying recently.:confused:
I have yet to hear one of my hens crow, but I’ve never had a rooster. Is that a factor?

On another note, the babies might be on the verge of a voice change. Or maybe just Flo. Flash still sounds like a bitty chick.

Back
Top Bottom