The Building of a Community

I can't locate a specific moment when it happened but sometime in the past 12 months this little thread of stories about my goofy hens became a large community. On 10/21/19 this thread had all of 174 pages. That is after having been started roughly 10 months before. In 12 months we added 1,911 pages.

View attachment 2383944

When I think about how apprehensive I was about starting my own thread I just don't know why. I had been on BYC for years but had not started a thread. Thinking back on it now it was the story of Nardole the Brave that brought me here. It lead me to follow Dona Worry and her thread Chickens of the Sunshine Motel. (It is also responsible for Mrs BY Bob's obsession with polish Chickens and brought us Phyllis) She inspired me to try this.

Look where we are now.

This has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I treasure each and every one of you and live to hear the stories of your flocks. All the joy and tragedy we have shared together. I feel so blessed.

Not to mention that this led to Sydney being able to hatch this year! Such a gift.

I don't know why I am feeling so reflective this morning. Maybe it is the fog, leaves, or last remnents of summer bringing it on. I can't say.

:hugs :hugs to you all, each and every one of you.
I'm so glad you started this thread too ByBob.

I've learned such a lot from you guys and everyone is so supportive and just generally welcoming and inclusive. It's a truly warm and genuine community.

I'm pretty sure I would have lost at least one hen by now if it weren't for this thread (and MJ's, Ribh's and Kris's) and the collective wisdom of everyone here. 💞

I am sure I speak for many of us that are enormously thankful that you started it and have held us all to wonderful standards of caring and thoughtfulness (oh and CHICKENS!!!).
I dont engage in any other social media (is this social media?) but am loving this group of friends and our collective flock of chickens.
It keeps me sane in these crazy times. 🥰🥰
Also as RC has pointed out, enjoying each other's flocks virtually.

It's like we are all sharing in a worldwide coop!

I'm so glad you started this thread too ByBob.

I've learned such a lot from you guys and everyone is so supportive and just generally welcoming and inclusive. It's a truly warm and genuine community.

I'm pretty sure I would have lost at least one hen by now if it weren't for this thread (and MJ's, Ribh's and Kris's) and the collective wisdom of everyone here. 💞
You are very kind to say so. It would not be the same without you. I am always excited to see that you have posted. :hugs

What a motley crew I have, One box of raisins, and all the bird stand around waiting. (They know what's in that box) But Beetov-Hen takes initiative, and pecks at the box trying to pull it out of my hand. (Raisins don't last long around here):clap:lau
This is an excellent way to view them. Very good analogy.
Hubby complained yesterday that he went outside to enjoy some sun while eating his peanut butter sandwich. The chickens all came running to try a bite and he ended up having to go inside to eat in peace!

At least my girls are well socialized! 😜

Also as RC has pointed out, enjoying each other's flocks virtually.

It's like we are all sharing in a worldwide coop!
It's kind of fun having the opposite seasons as well! I like when you have summer and we have winter and vice versa.

Hubby complained yesterday that he went outside to enjoy some sun while eating his peanut butter sandwich. The chickens all came running to try a bite and he ended up having to go inside to eat in peace!

At least my girls are well socialized! 😜
I tried to enjoy a lunch of pork and sauerkraut on the deck yesterday and it was like fighting off raptors. Their love of pork and therefore I guess hated of pigs is real! 😆

You are very kind to say so. It would not be the same without you. I am always excited to see that you have posted. :hugs
Oh, I'm wise to you Bob! You are just hoping to see pictures of Tsuki! 🤣

Well, I'm a sucker for those puppy dog eyes of yours...
IMG20200901155153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom