Sometimes, they just flop!:confused:
I love floppy combs. 🥰

2016-07-17_09-05-35.jpg

Oh, no, Lozzy! I missed your post. How is she? Any other symptoms? Tegan might have just gotten poked, pecked or scratched. Forget Marek’s and Coccidiosis on this one. If there are no respiratory symptoms, it could just be an injury. Sterile saline was the right move. I’d give it a little bit and you could always use an antibiotic ointment if it looks infected. Right now, I’d wait and see. Is the eye wet at all? If it swells around they eye, you might need to gently squeeze pus (which is solid in chickens) out, but I don’t see the need for that yet.
This has happened to Sydney and Lilly. Both times it was something poked them in the eye. I would guess it is something similar. I think you got the right advice to rinse it and watch it.

No, I think I've only seen one egg from her in the last six months. :( She seems fine in every other way though.

Its wet and cold here today. When I went to lock the girls up tonight there were the four of them all huddled up on the front perch together. Tsuki usually prefers the back perch, but the back perch was empty!

She had settled herself in her old coop. I told her it was too cold to roost by herself and tucked her under my arm. In she went with the others. When I left she was sulking on the coop floor. I hope she doesn't stay there and get pooped on by everyone! :sick
A white hen with poo all over her would not be a good image. :sick

Today I visited my parents, who live an hour and a half away, so I have not had a chance to catch up on the thread. I will. But I’ve been outside with the chickens since I got home and have a few photos and videos to share. Bear with me!

Here are the babies visiting on my lap. I have called them “littlest babies” since they were wee little chicks. Sorry, I don’t think I can rotate the video properly.

Buttercup also had a visit. For some reason she’s molts twice every year. She’s still finishing up her second molt. But she still likes to cuddle.

Here is Minnie, my one and a half year old Buckeye. She’s like a mini Ruby versus a Minnie Pearl. LOL.

View attachment 2386040

Roxy visiting, despite her molt:
View attachment 2386044

Here is the whole flock (I think). The dirt patch in front of me is from a combination of gophers and the fact that those two blue lounge chairs used to sit there. The girls are pleased about it, but I’m looking forward to it turning green again in rainy season.
Such a pretty flock 🥰. What kind of chicken is Roxy? I am still trying to get to grips with breeds and she has very pretty feathers.
I was glad to see that the dog is part of the pecking order! 🤣🤣

I was going to start my own thread but I’m happy to hang out on yours. (And MJ’s, and Ribh’s (And Kris’ when I eventually catch up!)). :hugs
The problem is that there are relatively few regular posters despite all the noise about how many members BYC has. Getting those regulars to post on yet another thread is a bit of a mission. For some months you could find yourself talking to yourself mostly.

I need some help please; Tegan’s right eye is half-closed and a bit swollen looking. I looked on the ER threads and they mentioned Mareks, Coccidiosis, MG and poor ventilation. I’ve only just noticed it and of course it’s raining today. I can bathe it with some warm saline solution tonight and check for bubbles. I’ve attached a photo, any advice would be gratefully received.

View attachment 2386232
I can't see anything there that might suggest a disease.
You'll need two people to have a good look under the eylids.
People do use saline wash. My vet says no and the oil based nature of the eye lubricant says no as well. Plain water boiled and let to cool is best.
With someone else holding her, apply slight downward pressure with one finger just below the lower eyelid. This will pull the eyelid down and once you've found the right pressure spot, the eylid should come down far enogh to check for debris under the lid.
Check around the eye, underneath the feathers to see if you can see a cut or a bruise. A good magnifying glass helps here.
There are two eye care products I use in this list. I've used both on chickens. One drop under the eylid!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-chicken-keepers-health-armoury.75220/

If there is any sign of an infection Tobrex is what my vet recommends.
https://www.rxlist.com/tobrex-drug.htm

Edit.
You should have on hand everything or it's equivelant on that list if you're going to keep chickens.
The heavy drugs such a antibiotics should be prescribed by a vet and got when necessary, not kept on hand.

Last edited:
That was better than a drawing. I have an excellent picture of your setup now. Very well done. Plenty of room for everyone. The ability to divide your run cannot be overrated. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. Well, since then, I took the gate and used it elsewhere, but I could always make another one or even put up poultry fencing in a pinch.

Such a pretty flock 🥰. What kind of chicken is Roxy? I am still trying to get to grips with breeds and she has very pretty feathers.
I was glad to see that the dog is part of the pecking order! 🤣🤣
Thank you. Roxy is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. She’s actually on the small side for a Wyandotte, I believe. She also has a single comb, which they only have 25% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom