Off lead dogs are the worst! I can't say I blame the farmers. Why can't people be responsible?
Off lead dogs are the worst! I can't say I blame the farmers. Why can't people be responsible?
Seriously. Really not acceptable behavior.

I told the Princesses that I dropped their jewels inside the new leaf pile. As you can see they searched for them diligently .. .. .. for many hours!
You may also be able to see that Maggie is not looking her best. Her molt is quite severe and her comb is not its normal brilliant red. It isn't pale exactly but looks a bit withered. I do hope she feels OK. I am doing everything I can for her in terms of extra protein, but I notice she isn't as interested in either the commercial feed or my treats.
She is however very interested in worms and bugs (you can see she is quite energetic in the leaf pile) so now I am resorting to digging holes in the garden to find delicacies for her.
I keep reminding myself that it is over a month since the vet suggested euthanasia and it has been a good month for her with lots of interesting chicken-ey things to do.
I think her life is still good but I am counting the days.
😢
If you are not aware, the consequences of salpingitis killed my Daisy, the greatest hen ever. I desperately tried to get her to winter so she would stop laying and buy her some more time. Sadly as a leghorn she just would not stop trying to lay an egg.

Maggie will likely make it through the winter just fine. As long as she isn't laying things will likely be ok. I would enjoy the next few months with her and not expect any dramatic changes until the spring laying season begins.

Back
Top Bottom