I think it helps that we're a garrulous lot. :D It's hard to have a conversation with just yourself ~ though I have been known to try. ;) Social media works really well for me. As a chronic introvert it enables me to engage with others more on my terms when & as I feel able to cope. I have my own thread to worry about too so if I'm short on people energy I'm quieter.

I do know what you mean though. I was struggling on BYC until I started my own thread & was able to make wider connections.
I started my own thread, but it seems to lag. Itā€™s my fault because I post sporadically. I just donā€™t have much interesting news on a day to day basis.
I also have trouble keeping up with the threads I follow. They get ahead of me. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m a slow reader, or what but I canā€™t keep up. I come on here every day and all my favorite threads are pages ahead!

I started my own thread, but it seems to lag. Itā€™s my fault because I post sporadically. I just donā€™t have much interesting news on a day to day basis.
I also have trouble keeping up with the threads I follow. They get ahead of me. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m a slow reader, or what but I canā€™t keep up. I come on here every day and all my favorite threads are pages ahead!

Give it time, so of these threads I follow go crazy over night and others barely move, so its not just you. This one has lots of activity and the if you look at MJ's for example, sometimes it has a couple posts and then other days it has pages!
Hang in there šŸ¤—šŸ¤— what's the name of your thread?

Give it time, so of these threads I follow go crazy over night and others barely move, so its not just you. This one has lots of activity and the if you look at MJ's for example, sometimes it has a couple posts and then other days it has pages!
Hang in there šŸ¤—šŸ¤— what's the name of your thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/katā€™s-journey-into-chicken-keeping.1411220/
Katā€™s Journey Into Chicken Keeping.
I like having it as a journal of my progress. I put pictures there and tell antidotes. So I can look back. :jumpy:celebrate

If you analysed any of these threads I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything earthshattering on any of them ~ & speaking for myself, I'm a genius @ derailing my own thread. I'll talk about pretty much anything. Of the threads I follow I think the most interesting is @Kris5902 's just for the novelty value. Your news doesn't have to be anything but what you enjoy because we'll enjoy sharing that with you. MJ has a whole thing going with tea cups & her Saturday breakfasts. šŸ™ƒ I love pretty sunrises/sunsets & lots of people share those on my thread, which is delightful. And anyone of us will enjoy just looking @ pictures of your chickens. We're a little obsessed that way. ;) Don't give up & don't think every post has to be a masterpiece. :hugs

If you analysed any of these threads I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything earthshattering on any of them ~ & speaking for myself, I'm a genius @ derailing my own thread. I'll talk about pretty much anything. Of the threads I follow I think the most interesting is @Kris5902 's just for the novelty value. Your news doesn't have to be anything but what you enjoy because we'll enjoy sharing that with you. MJ has a whole thing going with tea cups & her Saturday breakfasts. šŸ™ƒ I love pretty sunrises/sunsets & lots of people share those on my thread, which is delightful. And anyone of us will enjoy just looking @ pictures of your chickens. We're a little obsessed that way. ;) Don't give up & don't think every post has to be a masterpiece. :hugs
Lol. Thanks. I also love looking at pictures of everyoneā€™s chickens! :jumpy

I forget... are Farmers in your area legally allowed to do that? I know we can here... and I would 100% be in support of the farmers on that one, legal or not. Itā€™s not that I am not a dog person; I love dogs, well trained and on leads when they are on someone elseā€™s property or public places.:mad:
They are Kris and on the next mountain earlier this year, farmers did shoot a few dogs.
The thing is, nobody really wants to have to shoot someones pet. I certainly don't.
But, when you've seen a dog dragging down a ewe, or shaking some poor chicken you've watched hatched, nursed when sick, watched being a mum and who has survived all the wild predators here for seven years tolerance wears very thin.
It's just a shame that assaulting the owners isn't allowed.

That's rough. How often do you get storms this bad?
At least none of the chickens blew away, right?

Good luck putting it all back together. I wish I could come help. :hugs

Maybe @Ribh could knit some sweaters for your molting chooks. :confused:
I am in the process of putting hen saddles on them... I think it helps as long as it stays dry for the free rangers. Iā€™m toying with the thought of sacrificing an old rain Jacket instead for the outer layer... thatā€™s more suited to our usual fall/winter conditions!

There were a couple times during the day I looked out and was worried actually about them blowing away... for the most part everyone sheltered out of the worst of it, but then there would be a lull and they would start foraging again only to get hit with another Blast.

Luckily these storms arenā€™t terribly frequent, with maybe 7 or 8 big ones each year, usually in fall and spring. And the sudden intense cold that came with it is even less common. Nothing like your winters ā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļø so itā€™s more of a shock when it happens

There are times in the winter when I do lock them in as the coop will stay warmer than the outside and when the wind chill is -20Ā°F (-29Ā°C).

Ouch... just No. Neither I, my cats, or my chickens approve of those temperatures. We are used to the cold coastal damp weather. So one bonus to the arctic blast that hit us was it dried out the trailer a bit. Our average winter temperatures are 5 degrees Celsius to -3 in especially cold snaps, and itā€™s almost never in the negatives for more than a week at a time! Brrrr, just the thought of -29 C made me turn the heater up a notch.

I had to remount the propane heater when I picked up a desk (trying to improve our storage situation) and itā€™s not as firmly mounted as I would like on the trailer wall, so Iā€™ve been reluctant to leave it in when Iā€™m not home.

Back
Top Bottom