I just love a floppy comb. :love

View attachment 2422075
Yes, that is a lovely floppy comb. It seems to grow out of a good part of her head like a regular comb and then flop over. Minnie's comb seems to come from one tiny spot at the top of her beak and have no place to grow!

Here is an older pic of BLU's comb. (Little devil)!:mad:
Blu bath.JPG

The other good thing in the argument for isolation is is you are dealing with a potential infectious disease! How I missed point that basic reason out earlier in my post is mind boggling. Especially with the whole social distancing and all with the little pandemic situation?
We have been put on another two week lockdown here, after a recent spike. Some of the health order makes sense but other aspects? None at all. Don’t see anyone socially before or after work, you’re only permitted contact with those in your immediate household, but send your kid to high school with 2000 other kids? Give your head a shake B.C. government! Take public transit into work, but don’t see a friend for tea?
No chicken pics to pay the tax... so here is “Attack of the Giant Land Chickens”
View attachment 2421745View attachment 2421760View attachment 2421766
I have some repairs to do, I was trapped in the barn for over an hour I had to climb through the rafters to the other side to get released... they pulled the hay bales out from under me, so I went up, then they pulled out the bales I would have used to climb down stranding me. The other door is a slide bolt, so I couldn’t even open it from the inside! Outmaneuvered by Bovines:lau
Need to give this for the rant.:thumbsup
This for the post and pics.:love
I'll just click the like button for the bits inbetween.:D

That's great news Shad and most interesting observations too. Obviously state of mind plays an important role in recovery.

For a while there I was thinking that you would have the whole of Tribe 1 roosting in your house so you could keep an eye on Mel. 🤣
I think most of them have at some point; just not all at one time.;)

Mel issued forth from Tribe 1's coop this morning with all the rest and the lot headed in the opposite to usual direction and ended up at the front of the main house having gone over my roof and scuttled around the back to the car port, gingerly navigating the rockery which was very slippery from the morning heavy dew fall.
The only noticable difference between Mel and the others was the lack of feathers and if one got close, a wound just visible on her right shoulder. She is a bit paler but then so is Fudge.
She was with the tribe all day. mostly staying close to Cillin. Meds were easy in a split prawn and she ate a reasonable amount of commercial feed. I didn't bother to bring her into the house for wound cleaning and did it sat under the bush with the tribe. Moon would insist on trying to eat the wipes while they were in my hand. I've got a very wet coat pocket now.
The wounds look okayish. Not entirely happy with them. The graze come blister under her wing looks the worst. It's gone black like a bruise. It's not infected, just looks bad.
The infected puncture is still open but not looking as inflamed. I'll leave that open to breathe for a couple of days then pack it with Blastoestimulina.
The other two puncture wounds are looking better. No sign of any infection.

It's interesting to see the conclusions of some feeding studies that state chickens eat more when they eat together born out here. There is obaviously something about watching others stuff their faces. They didn't venture far from the bush by the bread oven all day.
These two pics were taken this evening at supper time. That's Mel in the background in the first pic. Tackle in front.
I was half expecting Mel to be a bit more aggressive than usual just to let the juiors know she might not be the full ticket, but she won't be putting up with any nonsense. She belted Tap once that I saw; Tap really pushes her luck and for the rest warninng sounds were enough. She ate just about enough at lunch time and got her meds with a whole tin size piece of cod at supper and ate some commercial feed.
When I looked in a while ago she was at the other end of the same perch she was on last night but tonight she had wedged herself between Cillin and the coop wall. The perch ends get least air flow and tend to be just that bit warmer.
PB230137.JPG
PB230139.JPG

Last edited:
The things I learn over and over.

By mid day Mel was looking depressed. Despite the door being open she didn’t show any signs of wanting to go out. She was eating, but looking very much as many moulting hens do; just flat and uncomfortable. The wounds I believe are a minor problem but combined with the moult they sum to greater than their individual parts.
Mid afternoon Treacle arrives and this at least generated a bit of life into Mel but nothing exceptional.

I decided to shell some walnuts partly to see if this would encourage Mel out of the house. Treacle was on it immediately and after I had done a couple Mel took a few tentative steps outside. Once out, there was a noticeable improvement in her demeanor. She was more alert, ate grass and scratched up some grit and bugs and went to shelter under the blackthorn bush. coming over to the house a couple of times for pieces of walnut.
View attachment 2421150

View attachment 2421151

I could hear the rest of Tribe 1 heading slowly towards the house. One second Mel was under the bush and the next running full tilt to join her tribe at the back of the main house. Lots of clucking and herding shuffles by Cillin and no sign of nay problems.
Mel behind the main house happy to be with her tribe.
View attachment 2421152

About ten minutes later the whole tribe arrived and moved into the house. The transformation in Mel was astounding. She became alert, got next to Fat Bird and close to Cillin and groomed.
View attachment 2421153

Grooming has been for me a major sign of a recovery. Mel even groomed a bit under the wing with the infected puncture wound.

The acid test came at supper time. Tribe 1 get their treat food then. Mel was in the thick of it as she should be, driving off any juniors that got close.
View attachment 2421154

View attachment 2421155

She’s gone home tonight with the rest of her tribe. Tonight is going to be the coldest night of the year so far; +1C if the weather people are right. While delighted to see Mel’s attitude improve and to see her head home with her tribe, I was a bit concerned about the cold.
I shouldn’t have worried. When I checked Tribe 1‘s coop Mel had her infected side squeezed up against Fat Bird and her other side against the coop wall. There is a noticeable gap between Fat Bird and I think that’s Fudge. This is no accident. Fat Bird is helping to keep Mel warm and the other away from her.
View attachment 2421156

View attachment 2421157

I read over and over on BYC the advice that you should isolate a sick or injured chicken and I wonder each time I don’t take that advice if I’m doing the right thing. Gloria my vet and those who know about chickens here tell only isolate if absolutely necessary. Today once again I’ve witnessed the wisdom of their words.

It is true that an isolated chicken is easier to treat but the cost in recovery time it seems is considerable.

Yep, getting the antibiotics into her will be more difficult while she’s out and about and yes there is always the risk that a predator identifies her as a weak chicken. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the extra speed of recovery and the protection of the tribe far outweighs these inconveniences and risks.
I agree they do SO much better with their tribes (“flock” in my case). They only times I’ve isolated were with Rusty’s EYP, Millie’s self-induced weakness during molt, Dorothy’s broken egg and Margo’s last night. Only Rusty’s was prolonged. I gzve, however, trmporarily pulled a suck bird out to provide a special nutritious treat or treatment. Having said that, i have never faced a serious injury, as Minnie (narrowly?) escaped the only predator attack I’m aware of, which resulted in lots of torn-out feathers and a pulled leg muscle. My point is, I think you are right to listen to your instincts and respond to their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom