That looks like Fowl Pox to me. Clean the affected areas with betadine, be careful around her eyes, and take some more pictures.
Fowl Pox, both wet and dry are not normally a major problem. I think it's viral rather than bacterial. Sever cases are treated with antibiotics.
You need to look inside her mouth to see if there are any lesions.

So I got some Betadine gel and put it on Tegan’s comb. She wasn’t hugely impressed but didn’t make too much of a fuss. I looked in her mouth (that was a big fuss) and it just looked like dirt in there. If it’s fowl pox, I’d say it’s dry rather than wet; there’s no blisters. Do I need to apply it daily for a period of time?

I checked the other girls; they seem to be ok. I think River and Nyssa used to be more spotty, so maybe they got it first and have worked their way through it. One thing that concerned me though was River’s comb; the top half seems to be rather purple. I took a photo of it, should I be worried about this?

5B712B73-80BF-45D2-A1EE-C8D9BC54F954.jpeg

It was a good discussion! We had a chance to consider new ways of valuing others. Now if we could transfer the care for one pigeon over to care more for farmed meat animals or even our own fellow humans... Hmmm 🤔
Very true. Sad but true.

So I got some Betadine gel and put it on Tegan’s comb. She wasn’t hugely impressed but didn’t make too much of a fuss. I looked in her mouth (that was a big fuss) and it just looked like dirt in there. If it’s fowl pox, I’d say it’s dry rather than wet; there’s no blisters. Do I need to apply it daily for a period of time?

I checked the other girls; they seem to be ok. I think River and Nyssa used to be more spotty, so maybe they got it first and have worked their way through it. One thing that concerned me though was River’s comb; the top half seems to be rather purple. I took a photo of it, should I be worried about this?

View attachment 2492434

I'm not sure, Lozzy. I've never put anything on my girls & most have had the pox.. It's pretty much inevitable here.

As for the comb...again I'm not sure. they should be full, fleshy & bright red. i've had a few girls look like Teagan but not any I've lost. All my reading says it's bad: heart issues, lack of oxygen, dehydrated, disease. I think if she seems ok otherwise I wouldn't worry too much, especially as there is probably nothing you can do to prevent heart attack or stroke.

Back
Top Bottom