I clean and repad and bandage Cillins foot every morning. I dont have any drawing ointment yet so the lump gets a soak inn warm water and then a bit of light scrub with a surgical wipe dipped in Betadine.
When he went to see Gloria the vet there was just a uniform scab showing about 8 mm in diameter. It was quite hard and about 1mm thick around the edges I could see.
Yesterday morning the scab had deposited bits in the bottom of the hole in the supprot ring.
This morning there is a 1mm diameter white core showing and it's leaked a tiny bit of something. Not quite pus, because there is no infection as such.
This treatment may work if the past few days is anything to go by.
Outstanding! Could I suggest that if it does work an article is in order.

Last edited:
To everyone, this is why I bought some a long time ago for my med kit. To everyone who reads this thread and does not have good access to medical care for your chickens, please consider stockpiling what you might need now. After @Kris5902 problems with getting antibiotics and now this, even me getting coconut oil to help Hattie when you need it, it is never there soon enough. It just makes sense to purchase ahead of when you need it.

View attachment 2493818
Trying to obey the hens here. In researching drawing ointment it seems to be 20% ichthamol that everyone is referring to, right? Then I get stuck. What brand is good, and then what amount does one need to keep on hand? Does it get old? Lots of choices. TSC sells what may be their own brand. This stuff is sold for horses and goats, for hooves generally. Coal tar, shale oil (sulfonated shale oil), pine tar (the last added in the "Legends" brand). THen they add lanolin sometimes, and petroleum jelly, etc.

Trying to obey the hens here. In researching drawing ointment it seems to be 20% ichthamol that everyone is referring to, right? Then I get stuck. What brand is good, and then what amount does one need to keep on hand? Does it get old? Lots of choices. TSC sells what may be their own brand. This stuff is sold for horses and goats, for hooves generally. Coal tar, shale oil (sulfonated shale oil), pine tar (the last added in the "Legends" brand). THen they add lanolin sometimes, and petroleum jelly, etc.
Not sure it matters. My tube is just labeled Icthamol ointment. I keep it in the human medicine cabinet. It works for splinters, boils etc.

I would find it amazingly helpful if you could share what you think I should have in my chicken medical kit. I don't think I am as well prepared as I should be, but it is a bit hard to figure out what I might need from all the different pieces of advice on the emergencies threads.
I know @Shadrach did an article, I have it bookmarked https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-chicken-keepers-health-armoury.75220/
and I also bookmarked this
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them.64830/

Clever Queenie - she sure has posing for the camera nailed! Can you even imagine now that you were pondering not keeping her? I am sooo glad you decided to let her stay. :love
So am I!! Well, it would have gladdened my heart very early on to see her reunited with her old flock - if it was a caring, no-kill situation. I got attached to her right away but was worried about integration. Now it gladdens my heart to see how well she is adapting and really becoming part of this flock. She is quite friendly and that's an added bonus for me. I was shoveling snow when she decided to fly up on to my shoulder for a better view of the world...

Not sure it matters. My tube is just labeled Icthamol ointment. I keep it in the human medicine cabinet. It works for splinters, boils etc.
I found this article. For people at least, they appear to think sulfonated shale oil has the least amount of carcinogenic elements and is better.
EDIT: There seem to be "pale" versions and "dark" versions available.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8864609/
Abstract
Background: Tar and sulfonated shale oil preparations are used in the treatment of a variety of inflammatory skin diseases, including psoriasis vulgaris; due to the high polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) content of tars, a possible relationship with cancer in humans has been postulated. On the other hand, the purity of sulfonated shale oils concerning PAHs guarantees a good tolerability during dermatologic therapy.
Aim: In this review, it is attempted to compare activity, efficacy and safety of coal tar, pine tar and sulfonated shale oil preparations which currently play a role in dermatologic treatment.
Results and conclusions: Primary sources of PAHs in the normal human environment are forest fires, cigarette smoke and combustion of fossil fuels for heating and energy. Thermal processing of fossil substances is also required for the production of tars and sulfonated shale oils. Due to individual manufacturing techniques, tars and sulfonated shale oils differ completely in their chemical composition. Still, sulfonated shale oils are often falsely grouped as tars because of their related origin and similar dermatologic indications. There is at least limited evidence of the activity and efficacy of various tars as well as sulfonated shale oil preparations in different frequent inflammatory skin diseases. This includes psoriasis vulgaris and atopic eczema of glabrous as well as hairy skin. There is still some concern about the long-term tolerability of tar preparations at least in some contexts. This, however, does not apply to sulfonated shale oil preparations. Consequently, at least their use should still be considered a rational drug treatment in dermatology.

Last edited:
I think you are fulfilling her need to have one right now. I hope. :fl
I dunno, I have less of a weakness on that front than Mrs BY Bob, but the picture of her chilling on the chair really is too adorable to bear.
You might want to rethink your strategy - I suspect more exposure to adorable goat pictures fuels rather than fulfills the need!

I found this article. For people at least, they appear to think sulfonated shale oil has the least amount of carcinogenic elements and is better.
EDIT: There seem to be "pale" versions and "dark" versions available.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8864609/
Abstract
Background: Tar and sulfonated shale oil preparations are used in the treatment of a variety of inflammatory skin diseases, including psoriasis vulgaris; due to the high polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) content of tars, a possible relationship with cancer in humans has been postulated. On the other hand, the purity of sulfonated shale oils concerning PAHs guarantees a good tolerability during dermatologic therapy.
Aim: In this review, it is attempted to compare activity, efficacy and safety of coal tar, pine tar and sulfonated shale oil preparations which currently play a role in dermatologic treatment.
Results and conclusions: Primary sources of PAHs in the normal human environment are forest fires, cigarette smoke and combustion of fossil fuels for heating and energy. Thermal processing of fossil substances is also required for the production of tars and sulfonated shale oils. Due to individual manufacturing techniques, tars and sulfonated shale oils differ completely in their chemical composition. Still, sulfonated shale oils are often falsely grouped as tars because of their related origin and similar dermatologic indications. There is at least limited evidence of the activity and efficacy of various tars as well as sulfonated shale oil preparations in different frequent inflammatory skin diseases. This includes psoriasis vulgaris and atopic eczema of glabrous as well as hairy skin. There is still some concern about the long-term tolerability of tar preparations at least in some contexts. This, however, does not apply to sulfonated shale oil preparations. Consequently, at least their use should still be considered a rational drug treatment in dermatology.
You have to be careful what you get - there is something called 'black ointment' which is touted as curing cancer and can eat holes in your skin. Ichthammol (which inconveniently is black) is the ingredient you want. Whether it comes with other fancy stuff or not I don't think matters. According to the oracle at Google, its chemical name is Ammonium bituminosulfonate or ammonium bituminosulphonate.

Back
Top Bottom