Has anyone here had a pullet/hen that pecks at their water instead of doing the normal, graceful drinking motion?
Belle does it, she’s drinking enough but it’s just really strange 🤔
Can't say that I have seen that. Interesting.

Here we have Cass and two of “his” personal Tribe... these girls are always following him, along with a few others. One, or maybe both, of the Gopala girls (crested Black Sapphire Marans crosses who are nearly identical and often move so quickly they are quite hard to tell apart).View attachment 2493727
Sammy looking over many of the overall flock while they enjoy the mound of gravel this area of the farm is named forView attachment 2493730
One of Roostie’s ladies, hanging out near a rose bush this morning and watching me suspiciously (right after I pilled her BF, but before I gave them their reward for him swallowing it)View attachment 2493748
And I think my goat is broken... she wants to spend all her time sleeping in the trailer, has severe separation anxiety, and wants to eat with her small furry herd mates that make the hissing growling noises at her and have the really sharp hooves. By placing a dish with some feed and alfalfa near the cat dishes, I have almost convinced her that this is edible and maybe more appropriate than her eating the catfood. She is also eating some organic salad greens (but not the baby spinach or chard) if I hand feed them to her. At least I’ve gotten her away from the propane heater... I swear she’s trying to roast herself! In bedroom trying to sleep: Sniff, sniff... “Andrew! Please get the goat away from the heater, I can smell her burning fur!” And he responds by depositing a very toasty, only slightly scorched, kid on the bed. Better than a hot water bottle (and hasn’t even been leaky the last few nights *knocks on wood*)View attachment 2493729View attachment 2493756
This goat is adorable! :love

Still short one of the meat girl rescues at bedtime tonight. This is one of the risks I accepted when I decided to free range most of my chickens. And with a 11 hens to 1 Rooster ratio in this group, I will agree with @Shadrach that this isn’t as “ideal” a number as it is so often suggested, at least from a safety and a social standpoint. I also can’t Really set up enough separate coops or afford to feed too many more boys.

I had some giant land chicken herding issues this morning which put us quite behind schedule. Instead of “missing” 3-4 girls, I only had Gus and three girls at the fence line this morning. The other 10 were in two separate groups divided by a fence, two gates down, and with one very scary tree to pass under. We made sausage this afternoon (going to put an add up on FBook for our products soon) and returned at dusk to put up the chickens and have supper. I am thus a little short on chicken photos today, but I do have a couple goat ones to share. I had to find and adjust a different cat harness for her, and I am trying to teach her to “goat” a bit outside (she will go almost anywhere for a baba). So, these are from right before we went down to make sausage this afternoon, and yes she pee peed on my pillow... it is hers now.

FBBD695E-7ED7-42E5-ADA7-DB7172425F6D.jpeg
5D940ECF-1E38-4EBE-878C-130D90F7FF5F.jpeg

Still short one of the meat girl rescues at bedtime tonight. This is one of the risks I accepted when I decided to free range most of my chickens. And with a 11 hens to 1 Rooster ratio in this group, I will agree with @Shadrach that this isn’t as “ideal” a number as it is so often suggested, at least from a safety and a social standpoint. I also can’t Really set up enough separate coops or afford to feed too many more boys.

I had some giant land chicken herding issues this morning which put us quite behind schedule. Instead of “missing” 3-4 girls, I only had Gus and three girls at the fence line this morning. The other 10 were in two separate groups divided by a fence, two gates down, and with one very scary tree to pass under. We made sausage this afternoon (going to put an add up on FBook for our products soon) and returned at dusk to put up the chickens and have supper. I am thus a little short on chicken photos today, but I do have a couple goat ones to share. I had to find and adjust a different cat harness for her, and I am trying to teach her to “goat” a bit outside (she will go almost anywhere for a baba). So, these are from right before we went down to make sausage this afternoon, and yes she pee peed on my pillow... it is hers now.

View attachment 2497357View attachment 2497358

Ohhh... those pictures are ADORABLE!!!! :th

Back
Top Bottom