See below.
Basically I don't have a plan as such.:oops:
Every time I've meddled in their affairs I've messed up. Sometimes the error hasn't been apparent for some time.
Cillin has made this rod for his back. Treacle put up with being chased away from the hens for months.
I do feel for Cillin but in the end my job is to make him fit and keep him safe while I try to do this. After that it's all down to him.
I thought that might be how it was going to go, and it’s probably for the best. He’s a good boy, and I’m sure he will have his hens, or some hens back in no time!

Who doesn't love scrambles with cheese!

It looks to me like they might be broken off. Can you think of a reason why or a time when they might have gotten snapped off?

You are so lucky to get her successfully through her laying years. Hopefully she will be around for years to come. 😁
Nothing comes to mind to have broken them, unless Penny was pecking at her (not sure if other hens can snap them off?)

I’m hoping she will be around for a lot longer too. I love Big Bad Bokky, her new pet name now that she’s rounding up the young whipper snappers 😝
Penny wasn’t so lucky. Having no vet here that treats chickens I can only surmise it was EYP. I kept her comfortable for a few days in our laundry, giving her water with a syringe, crying all the while that I couldn’t make her well again, but in the end she didn’t even want that.
She had developed water belly I believe so once I felt I could do nothing more I popped her out in the nesting box so she could spend her last night with Bok. She passed overnight and I was so heartbroken 😭

Nothing comes to mind to have broken them, unless Penny was pecking at her (not sure if other hens can snap them off?)

I’m hoping she will be around for a lot longer too. I love Big Bad Bokky, her new pet name now that she’s rounding up the young whipper snappers 😝
Penny wasn’t so lucky. Having no vet here that treats chickens I can only surmise it was EYP. I kept her comfortable for a few days in our laundry, giving her water with a syringe, crying all the while that I couldn’t make her well again, but in the end she didn’t even want that.
She had developed water belly I believe so once I felt I could do nothing more I popped her out in the nesting box so she could spend her last night with Bok. She passed overnight and I was so heartbroken 😭
I lost my darling Daisy, the greatest hen ever, to complications from salpingitis. The rapid egg laying is a death sentence for most of them as so many things go wrong. It is crushing when you know there is nothing you can do to fix what's wrong with them. You have my deepest sympathies. :hugs :hugs

My Lilly has pretty much stopped laying and I'm thrilled. I hope she is with us for years to come.
20210122_221355.jpg

I lost my darling Daisy, the greatest hen ever, to complications from salpingitis. The rapid egg laying is a death sentence for most of them as so many things go wrong. It is crushing when you know there is nothing you can do to fix what's wrong with them. You have my deepest sympathies. :hugs :hugs

My Lilly has pretty much stopped laying and I'm thrilled. I hope she is with us for years to come.
View attachment 2499545
I hope Lilly is very long lived too. Sympathies for Daisy (GHE) :hugs
I’m glad also Bok has stopped. I miss her big beautiful eggs, I won’t lie, but I much prefer her company to the alternative.
You’re right, it is a death sentence which is why I chose other breeds this time around, hoping our time together will be longer than with Pen.

I hope Lilly is very long lived too. Sympathies for Daisy (GHE) :hugs
I’m glad also Bok has stopped. I miss her big beautiful eggs, I won’t lie, but I much prefer her company to the alternative.
You’re right, it is a death sentence which is why I chose other breeds this time around, hoping our time together will be longer than with Pen.
I truly wish that for you. :hugs :hugs

You are a thoughtful and generous friend Michelle.

Any chance of kitchen renovation photos? As MJ could tell you I am a "before and after" junkie. 😊
Thank you, I enjoy sharing...especially with little people! 💞

Of course...I love to share...lol! Here's a before & a couple of pictures of the color change we are doing on the lower cabinets. The uppers will be painted white!
We have a long way to go. The computer desk will be moved into one of our spare bedrooms that I'm setting up as my craft room/office(my children are grown 🙁 ). My husband is building a new cabinet in its place so that I can have a bit more storage & the counter will be a tea & coffee station!
20201229_172607.jpg

A couple of drawer fronts...before color on the right & after on the left!
20210101_174023.jpg

Door on the left with 2 coats of stain, the right door has one. We just finished the backs of the doors today and will start staining the fronts tomorrow, the drawer fronts are finished. We will stain the cabinets after we finish the doors...we are also making changes to our sink cabinet...hopefully we we won't have to rebuild it.
20210118_104843.jpg

Chicken Tax!
20200827_145630.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom