A warm day here so the crew are tucking into some homemade frozen corn treats, a natural yoghurt pop and some frozen mango pieces ☺
View attachment 2500724Also put out a handheld mirror which amused them. Belle seemed like she just wanted to fight the chicken in the mirror 😅
View attachment 2500723
I have a mirror in the coop so Phyllis can do her poof.
20200925_133917.jpg

Profit at what cost. We need to educate more people whenever possible. The amount they are saving on eggs is simply just not enough to justify the ethics. I doubt they truly know what the conditions are.
Very true. They just look at numbers on a page and don’t look any further than that. Any suggestion to source local eggs from said happier hens is given a ‘yeah, I’ll look into it’ type dismissal.
I’m glad I no longer work in that industry and sadly I didn’t know enough about the practices of high production egg facilities at the time to preach more 😕

You ever do the movie theater thing for the midnight showing of some big film?
That is not something I have ever done, the closest we came was showing up 4 hours early to buy tickets to Star Wars the Phantom Menace. Went for a walk through the gardens nearby and had dinner before the show... that was with my mom, and boy was it disappointing. Not at all what we were hoping for.

Everyone’s up for the night and I’m out of chicken Tax... so happy Caturday + bonus Goat. I came back to these two (not fighting) after I put the girls up for the night... we may just have some progress on the “Charlie Hates Arduinna” front? And the bed was even dry! Sigh of relief!
D043ABD8-476B-4B52-BE65-5B9327B56839.jpeg

Very true. They just look at numbers on a page and don’t look any further than that. Any suggestion to source local eggs from said happier hens is given a ‘yeah, I’ll look into it’ type dismissal.
I’m glad I no longer work in that industry and sadly I didn’t know enough about the practices of high production egg facilities at the time to preach more 😕
I have started 1 neighbor at a time. A couple of pictures and description of the cage and most people, most, will start paying more for eggs.

That is not something I have ever done, the closest we came was showing up 4 hours early to buy tickets to Star Wars the Phantom Menace. Went for a walk through the gardens nearby and had dinner before the show... that was with my mom, and boy was it disappointing. Not at all what we were hoping for.

Everyone’s up for the night and I’m out of chicken Tax... so happy Caturday + bonus Goat. I came back to these two (not fighting) after I put the girls up for the night... we may just have some progress on the “Charlie Hates Arduinna” front? And the bed was even dry! Sigh of relief!
View attachment 2500761
I've never done the midnight movie thing but my oldest daughter did it for many movies, most notably the Harry Potter ones, in costume.

That is a wonderful picture. How is the lice situation sizing up?

No advice, sorry, but just wanted to say he’s a big beautiful boy and I hope it all clears up soon 🙂
Thanks! He’s currently 4.8kg or 10&1/2lbs. He has lost a lot of weight during this illness, and he is just finishing up his molt as well.
Poor Roostie. My bantam Cochin roo walks that distressed too, but he’s over 4 years old with short stubby legs, and missing a toe. I think your Roostie will fully recover. I pray that he does.
Thank You, I hope and pray you’re right!
Have you tried a drawing salve? Sorry if I missed this; I’m behind as usual.
The infection was quite deep in the foot , and Xrays would be needed to determine if it has moved into/begun to deteriorate the bones. That plus a very expensive and possibly fatal surgical option to remove any internal solidified pus if the infection hasn’t moved to the bones... I declined, and we went with a massive antibiotic dose. He just finished ten days of 500mg twice daily of an amoxicillin. I do have a drawing salve (Prid) but there isn’t really a clear exit point for any infection, if it does point I am to clean and debride the area thoroughly.
Let me think on this Kris. I'm not certain what to tell you right now.

Thanks Bob! I really do appreciate your knowledge in the field.

Basically, I’m just not sure if continuing an antibiotic Treatment would have any positive affect. Perhaps the staph infection is essentially fully treated/cured and the swelling just due to the residual pus that formed around it? (Lack of heat in the foot?) Could the amoxyTyl have an effect on helping breakdown any pus internally? Should I consider foot massages, and warm water soaking (once this cold snap passes, I don’t need frost bitten toes!), or just a liberal application of the drawing salve? Would that have any impact on the foot? I wish I had a Dr. Gloria type vet handy.

I haven’t been giving him the pain medication and yet he seems to be far less sore now. So it’s definitely improved with the antibiotics... even if it still looks awful. I’m reluctant to put the drawing salve on his other foot’s bumble at this point. I will certainly get more pictures and see how he reacts to handling it more on Monday with DH’s help. He has an early start tomorrow, so we will probably have just long enough in the morning for the basic chores.

Back
Top Bottom