Crazy Encounter!

We were outside on the patio watching a movie, with a separate speaker going. My dog’s ears perked up and she was looking at the fire pit, where I had a jack-o-lantern sitting. (A rat had chewed on it the night before, so we all figured the dog heard a rat.) I ran inside and grabbed a bright flashlight. I could not see the rat, but figured I’d throw out the jack-o-lantern right then before I forgot (the movie was still going). I headed for the waste bins with flashlight in one hand and pumpkin in the other and just as I was about to step off the patio, my flashlight illuminated a mountain lion 50 feet away, just sitting there behind my neighbor’s vehicle. I quickly told my family, “There’s a mountain lion. Get inside.” We shined a light on it again and it turned its head and just looked at us, not at all bothered by our presence. We went back inside. Several minutes later, my husband went out with a flashlight again. Our neighbor came out with a flashlight, as well. It just laid there in the field with two bright lights on it and humans calling out to each other across the yard. It finally retreated, but I find it worrisome that it would come into the yard while people were outside watching a movie, and then not run off once we obviously saw it. The waste bins in between us and the cat? That’s where I was headed with my jack-o-lantern. The cougar was literally 20 feet from the bins before it retreated to the field in the video. With daylight savings, the chickens won’t have free range time after work this week. I’m ok with that!

The video is poor quality, but still!

Holy crap!!!

I've never heard the word "silvopasture ". Love the concept!

Your management ethics make me want to travel up there to help you and learn from you Kris. Then come back here and buy some acreage!
X2!
After joining you guys on BYC I wish I had more money to buy a bigger patch of land well away from the ‘burbs and that I had the skills to build such wonderful coops and runs!! Which would ultimately lead to more chickens (and a rooster 🤭)
Retirement plan, so only another 33 years (fingers crossed the mortgage is paid by then 😅)

We are snow tonight, ice tomorrow. :barnie
When we drop below 0 I always used to think ‘well, why don’t we just get snow if it’s this cold?!’
After reading through this thread, boy howdy, I’m glad we don’t!! One post you had it was in the minus 20’s Celsius, and that’s like🤯 crazy cold!!! To me, not even fathomable🥶

Back
Top Bottom