Phyllis chooses a Nestbox

The following video is 5 minutes long. It is interesting to watch Phyllis choose a nestbox when the favorite box is occupied. My girls do not share nestboxes. It was quite a process. Took her more than 5 minutes!

I also like to point out how sad Phyllis' little squeak is when things aren't as she wants them and she has to find a alternate solution. It tugs at my heart every time I hear her make it.

Awww she really does have a tiny squeak .... More of a trill really. :love

Opps I think I have been spotted
20210225_163909.jpg

A late afternoon snack
20210225_163933.jpg

Alinta in attack mode
20210225_163106.jpg

Rosie coming to my defense
20210225_163836.jpg

This time I was able to redirect her before rosie got there. This is an almost daily occurrence. She prefers skin when she can get it 🙄
She has always been a little more aggressive, we were sure she was male when she was a chick, but she didn't really start going after me until she was about a year old. She will bite Bill too, but she only goes after me. I remind her regularly that she is not a rooster. Funny thing is she is a more reliable layer then her sister and was constantly broody last year, so I don't think it's even a hormone thing. She will be eating out of my hand one minute and then I see the switch flip. She reminds me of a cat I had growing up.

@Kris5902 how is Lucky doing? Has she quite recovered from her adventure under the water bowl?
Lucky is 100% back to normal, and happy and healthy.
And Roostie @Kris5902 what is the latest?
Roostie is doing well, we still haven’t had a chance to remove any of the pus, but he’s quite active and behaving normally, with almost no indications of pain other than a slight limp.

General update: I've been super busy lately, and am trying hard to get caught up, but I’m probably just going to skip ahead and join in as I can. Sunday and Monday were long cooking days, mutton Stew and Borscht. Monday we had a tragic loss of Borscht (BIL’s vehicle’s rear gate is held closed By duct tape, it failed, and bye bye borscht on the way to the freezer 😢) Tuesday we fixed my truck a bit more, exhaust tweaking/jury rigging and a new air filter and fuel filter. Wednesday we had a long town day, with Arduinna. And we picked up 40 mistral gris meat chicks.

I’m brooding over at my friends farm, where I garden, on the other side of the island. I’ve converted his coop into a brooder and will be basically staging my meat birds there to start and stay under the “limit” of bird numbers. I’ve got one more day of freezer meals to make up this weekend. Lasagna and manicotti.

I won't be keeping them all. Unlike most of you here, I place my older hens and replace future eggs layers. I will keep some of these and some from my next hatch...and one more. Watch them as they grow, and decide. Not supposed to have roosters here. Sometimes I keep one for a while until he finds his...big voice. ;) In the meantime, sometimes I can keep one long enough to fertilize some eggs. Will let this happen if it's a breed I would love to have, even mixed because I know I'll get egg layers. Right now, I'm wondering if I will be keeping any this winter, because my husband has had another..very big decline this past week. It's happening so fast. Chickens have been my happy part through all of this. I love hatching. Don't think I'll be doing that again unless our son here can help me with the taking care of chickens. I would miss them, but it's starting to become a very heavy load with him. Busy watching him, taking him to the Dr if needed. Having his Medicair check up tommorow. Thinking hospice respite is in my near future. Hospice will come in to help a few times a week...not just for "the" death sentence. I'll take that help when needed, then maybe I can keep chickens. Oh..not sure I said..sadly, his psa was way up again. Supposed to be below 4, it was 11. Prostate cancer is supposed to take a long time. I'm beginning to wonder with all of his symptoms lately. Poor guy. I really don't like seeing him in pain. Have pain relief when needed. Well..I wrote a book again. You can tell it's just good to let it out..hmm..on BYC. Ok, chicken tax. This was one of my most favorite girls..ever! When she hatched, I immediately named her Uggums. She became pretty popular on a couple of other threads years ago. I kept her for her forever. ♥️ View attachment 2544223
She is very cute! I hope things get better.

I won't be keeping them all. Unlike most of you here, I place my older hens and replace future eggs layers. I will keep some of these and some from my next hatch...and one more. Watch them as they grow, and decide. Not supposed to have roosters here. Sometimes I keep one for a while until he finds his...big voice. ;) In the meantime, sometimes I can keep one long enough to fertilize some eggs. Will let this happen if it's a breed I would love to have, even mixed because I know I'll get egg layers. Right now, I'm wondering if I will be keeping any this winter, because my husband has had another..very big decline this past week. It's happening so fast. Chickens have been my happy part through all of this. I love hatching. Don't think I'll be doing that again unless our son here can help me with the taking care of chickens. I would miss them, but it's starting to become a very heavy load with him. Busy watching him, taking him to the Dr if needed. Having his Medicair check up tommorow. Thinking hospice respite is in my near future. Hospice will come in to help a few times a week...not just for "the" death sentence. I'll take that help when needed, then maybe I can keep chickens. Oh..not sure I said..sadly, his psa was way up again. Supposed to be below 4, it was 11. Prostate cancer is supposed to take a long time. I'm beginning to wonder with all of his symptoms lately. Poor guy. I really don't like seeing him in pain. Have pain relief when needed. Well..I wrote a book again. You can tell it's just good to let it out..hmm..on BYC. Ok, chicken tax. This was one of my most favorite girls..ever! When she hatched, I immediately named her Uggums. She became pretty popular on a couple of other threads years ago. I kept her for her forever. ♥️ View attachment 2544223
I'm so sorry your husband is doing poorly. Hugs to you! And Uggums was adorable.

Back
Top Bottom