Thank you all. That farm belongs to a family friend, but that is the barn we took care of for several years. Its also the place where until 2 years ago horse shows were held every weekend in summer for as long as I can remember. It is for sale now and sadly no more horse shows and the barn sits empty. It is a beautiful place and many many good memories are attached to that place. I live just 3 houses up, and can walk to that bridge slowly in 5 minutes. Water levels have stopped rising and while the lower end up my yard got underwater, the area around the horses stayed dry. I can leave now if I had to as well, one way out has finally been opened up.
That is all good news. I'm glad it has peaked and started back down.

The not so tiny terrors are being holy terrors at the moment. When I cleaned out their brooder last night decided to fully line the crate with sawdust as they were out growing their dustbathing bowl. Thinking it would make clean up easier since before that i was lining it with paper towels which got super stinky real quick and required several changes a day to keep it remotely clean. And they had created a new favorite game of see how quickly we can shred the new paper towels. Well, they have a new favorite game, see how quick we can rip down the lining. They are scratching and pecking at it furiously to see if it will come down. They have also enjoyed slinging sawdust out of the crate several times today. If you say something to them, they stop and sit down and look at you all innocent, except Karen. She just gives me a "what do you want" look before kicking sawdust at me. At least their younger siblings love me, any chance they get I have a lap full of chicks sleeping.

I was way too busy last week to relay it. Never seen a chicken wedged under another! Glad the long post is okay. Yes, that's a good term! She was not actively fighting off Hazel. Passive Resistance.
There are dominance plays going on, but at least for these guys, different hens have the upper hand in certain places and certain situations. Queenie is totally submissive and avoids any confrontation with others in food situations. She waits for others to be done and doesn't barge in at all. I've seen Queenie get chased off a mealy worm scattering (so I keep scattering more elsewhere), and she gets warning pecks from everybody. She submits and quickly backs away. Usually with just a look from someone. When I'm handing out little mash balls or something she hangs in the back (though she will sneak in for a quick steal from the side if she gets the opportunity). I make sure to call her name and reach over the others to get her some shares early on (Peanut's in this boat too). Then this happens. Queenie, calm as Buddha, strong as steel and wide as the door, Passive Gandalf, submitting to pecks, yes, but nevertheless, is of the opinion that You Shall Not Pass!
:love
She is finding her way. Watching these behaviors unfold is one of my favorite things about hanging with the ladies. 👍

I forgot to ask - but where was Phyllis in your movie? Was she laying in the coop, or inside with Mrs By Bob?
Phyllis was inside hanging with Mrs BY Bob. If she was out she would have been around my feet following me around. She is always around me if I'm outside. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom