Spying on my Friends

I spent this morning spying on the girls with the cameras. I learn so much about their behaviors by doing this and caught some fun videos and interesting photos this morning.

Check out how clever Phyllis is. She has found a way to eat without the others pecking or chasing her away. She is eating in the photo. Can you find her?
View attachment 2559303

The next selections are from some video I collected while Aurora was laying her egg.

View attachment 2559306

This is Aurora actually laying her egg! Listen and you can hear it hit the floor of the nest box. She the rearranges all the eggs under her and sits back down. She would sit on those eggs for at least 6 minutes after laying them. I did not know that they did that. After Daisy, the greatest hen ever, laid her egg she just left the box.

Back on Thursday Lilly started complaining nonstop. This is they way she acts before she lays one of her rare eggs. Usually it is only the day before. I have not caught her on the nest yet. I hope that this does not wind up being an issue for her.

It is hard to be a dual purpose lady. Just a day after celebrating Hattie I am going to pick on her. I'm sorry but this is part of being a member of my tribe. Praise one minute lather at your expense the next.

In this video you will note the Hattie is so large that she boots out the sun! A total eclipse of the Hattie! 🤣

It’s so wonderful that you can observe them this way!!
And Hattie 🥰🥰🥰

Penny with her first egg! It’s so teeny compared to what she went on to lay 🙂
524547D1-9782-4542-8EF6-A8781B28EA29.jpeg

Thanks. Am I correct in understanding you deal with mites by cooking them - on the wood and in crevices with a blowtorch?
I do and so do some others. It comes from beekeeping really. You use a blow torch on the empty hives and cleaned frames. Mainly it's to kill wax moth and eggs here but the blue part of the flame kills everything, including eggs so it's do it once in a while.
For me the advantage is no chemicals and the chickens can go straight back in.
It takes a bit of courage and some practice. Not all coops are suitable for it. If you have a look at my coop page you can see why it might work well for me.

Calling experienced chickeneers:

the 2nd of my 4 wk old Wyandotte chicks is lethargic & not really eating or drinking. I have started treating her for cocci & syringed some egg yolk into her this morning. Only got 2~3 ml into her but I did get some electrolyted water into her as well. Anyone with ideas as to what might be going on & what I should be doing? Bedding is changed every day & kept dry. Water kept clean. I was using medicated feed but will change that if I start treating everyone for cocci.

Calling experienced chickeneers:

the 2nd of my 4 wk old Wyandotte chicks is lethargic & not really eating or drinking. I have started treating her for cocci & syringed some egg yolk into her this morning. Only got 2~3 ml into her but I did get some electrolyted water into her as well. Anyone with ideas as to what might be going on & what I should be doing? Bedding is changed every day & kept dry. Water kept clean. I was using medicated feed but will change that if I start treating everyone for cocci.
I wonder if she needs to be apart from the others?

Back
Top Bottom