They pull pigment from their tissues for the yolks, I believe. So earlobes are white when laying and yellow when not. That was definitely the case for Margo and seems to be for Dorothy and Flash, as well.
Bob, my explanation may not be accurate. Now I’m reading they preferentially deposit the pigment into yolk instead of tissue vs. pulling it from tissue. I haven’t found a great article yet, but here’s something:
https://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186896.pdf

Mugs Monday (before I forget, and I’ve been saving these!)
03D9F2E3-B0CD-469C-BD48-74F79DDDE068.jpeg
7BD366FF-F9FB-4B98-94C1-FAA621A70F6B.jpeg
017B42B1-7C78-42F5-A666-63F85EE4A352.jpeg

Corid is a brand I think. I can't find it here. I have Amprolium coming & am using the vet stuff meanwhile. I don't think she's ingested bedding . Her poos have become more watery ~ not surprising as she's not eating ~ & her crop seems ok. The other chicks seem to be gathering round her to keep her warm & I have been cuddling her on & off to make sure she's warm enough. She's supposed to be off heat as I said I wouldn't take anything needing heat as I'm not set up for it. I can get her to a vet tomorrow if she lasts that long.
Yes, it is. Sorry, I did mean to say Amprolium. I like to keep baby bird formula on hand, as well as poultry vitamins for times of crisis. How is she doing?

Yes, it is. Sorry, I did mean to say Amprolium. I like to keep baby bird formula on hand, as well as poultry vitamins for times of crisis. How is she doing?
She's still with us & seems a little brighter. I'm getting water into her & a tiny amount of probiotics. I have a Vet appointment in the morning.

I think you are. When I finally got this group out in natural light, I suspect at least 3 of the 6 are boys, if not possibly 4. And in the older group, I knew there was 1 for sure male and thought 3 were girls. Wrong, 2 are boys, combs starting to pink up on a second one and when the sunlight hit, the 2 boys already have their copper hackle markings coming in. So out of 10 chicks hatched, its for sure looking like a even split but I wont be surprised now if its not 6 boys and 4 girls. After a brief visit last summer it seems the pullet fairy has left me and my old friend, or enemy if you want to call it that the Cockerel fairy is back. And with a vengeance I may add.

Clearly, you have won the cockerel lottery, as @Kris5902 once so eloquently put it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom