I’m actually looking forward to the next rain, I made a raincoat that’s almost floor-length and I’m keen to road-test it.
You made one, really? I don't think I have ever met someone who has made a raincoat before, I think I would like to see a picture of this device in use.

I'm probably going to be guilty of SHRA but...if you are using the Kilverm, which seems to be the popular wormer out here, I have found it pretty ineffective. Ask your Vet for something. I don't know the name but my vet gives me pig wormer & it works super well. I'm doing my girls on Tuesday after I pick up the wormer from the vet so I will try & remember to ask what it is. Working with the girls after dark is always easier & Shad recommends putting any medication on bread or any treat they really go for. It works beautifully & it much easier than syringing. I have one girl who won't touch anything that has Baycox in it & I have to syringe her. She is a nightmare to deal with. All the best. :hugs
Is it liquid or tablets?
if you get the name let me know for sure!

8 weeks old changes my advice. I thought you got chicks. You have a little more time.
Can I ask something please? In your article draft you said something about being sure of coccidiosis before you treat, and my frizzle-breeder friend has said something similar. Yet I’ve had two vets say to treat without testing. Why the caution?

You made one, really? I don't think I have ever met someone who has made a raincoat before, I think I would like to see a picture of this device in use.
Here’s a selfie of me wearing it, it hasn’t known moisture yet. :lol:

E4A747C3-BE0E-4455-A6D9-20A6F07D648F.jpeg

I'm probably going to owe a heap more tax on this one but here goes... Amprolium, brand name in the States CORID. Keep the areas your chickens range in as clean & dry as possible. Wet humid conditions have seen my flock battling this most of the summer. I have been adding some electrolytes/vitamins to help boost their immunity & I always check for other things. I find a sick chicken is prone to mites/lice as they don't groom as well. If it's a bad case you may need something stronger. My vet gives me Baycox. It's very good but I don't know what the US equilivent would be.

I'm probably going to be guilty of SHRA but...if you are using the Kilverm, which seems to be the popular wormer out here, I have found it pretty ineffective. Ask your Vet for something. I don't know the name but my vet gives me pig wormer & it works super well. I'm doing my girls on Tuesday after I pick up the wormer from the vet so I will try & remember to ask what it is. Working with the girls after dark is always easier & Shad recommends putting any medication on bread or any treat they really go for. It works beautifully & it much easier than syringing. I have one girl who won't touch anything that has Baycox in it & I have to syringe her. She is a nightmare to deal with. All the best. :hugs
I carry 3 wormers. Kilverm, Fenbendazole (Safeguard for goats), and Flubendazole (DAC Tabs for Pidgeons).

Fenbendazole (Safeguard) works really well but you should discard all eggs for I think 2 weeks and you have to give it orally by syringe. The dose is way to large to hide in food.

Flubendazole (DAC Tabs) also works really well. They are tiny tabs that I hide in mini Penne Pasta. Everyone swallows the pasta whole except Lilly and Phyllis. I have to trick them in other ways. There is no egg discarding required.

Kilverm I just got because I thought it might be easier to use and it also has no egg discarding. After @Ribh experience, I am not certain that I want to use it now.

To that point, Ribh, do you direct dose or use water to dose them with the Kilverm?

Back
Top Bottom