I would totally get it tested. If they threw poisoned bread that has to be against the law.
When I was a young teenager I came home to find someone had battered our new kittens against the wall and beat their brains out - it was truly awful - the police took it very seriously though they never caught whoever was responsible.
I just don't understand some people and their attitude to other animals.
Gasp! What a horrible story. Sorry you had to find that.

No, but that picture is a from a while ago. I'll try to take and post another one today when I get home so you can see its current condition.
It’ll be interesting to see whether there is a yolk. Buttercup is laying fairy eggs and nothing else. Concerned for her, along with the others having issues.

Miss Brenna, my shy girl came to have her photo taken Saturday evening.
20210419_204643.jpg

And a couple of messy mugs too, a cottage cheese treat caused a bit of a flurry.
20210419_204528.jpg
20210419_204557.jpg

OK I'm on board with traveling E. Coli but I don't see yet how poopy feathers back near the vent is going to cause bacteria getting into the uterus/oviduct. Isn't there some E. Coli inside the hen already? That may be my first error in thinking about this. Is there not? If not, then a colony of E.Coli in a bunch of poopy feathers or stuck bits outside the vent could be a problem? It could send out little armies of bacteria to explore and some go back up in there? They travel fast, in between poops coming the other way?

If there's poop that is causing an adult pasty butt situation and things can't move along well and there's a backup, maybe a little bit of poop takes a turn and goes in the opening to the uterus, I'm thinking appendix analogy here? And if eggs can go backwards they could bring stuff back in further?

If we clean the feathers and vent area religiously can we prevent salpingitis?
I don’t know the answer, but they seem to turn their vents inside out to poop and lay. If there is poop build up right up against the vent (like I found on a couple birds this weekend... another reason I wormed) and if that clean, moist tissue touches poop, why not?

I doubt we can completely prevent salpingitis, but I don’t want to encourage it. The occasional egg has poop on it. Why? If poop is getting on the egg, isn’t it also getting on the cloaca?

Thanks for keeping the discussion going. It’s quite interesting to me.

Sorry about the gazillion replies I just posted. You people were busy today!

Sorry I also keep giving updates on my own flock, but this is my home on BYC and I can’t help myself.

Tonight the entire flock seemed mostly good! However, Roxy has been sitting more and had a black poop. I’m hoping the internal parasite treatments help her. When she had black poop, anemia and bloating g before, the vet said she was full of gas in her intestines. Apparently necrotic enteritis can cause that, and I also read coccidiosis can contribute to necrotic enteritis.

Anyway, even they all, including Roxy, were vibrant and active. I am hopeful. Dorothy and Minnie were better than all weekend.

They also got a beef liver treat. It took awhile for Sunshine, who has the palest (almost bluish) comb, to show interest, but she eventually had some. Only Ruby, who only likes certain treats, passed.

I will keep at it.

Back
Top Bottom