For a wormer I've used be bentonite clay and heard pumpkin seeds work as well
There is evidence that both these can help to reduce worm load. My belief is there are many more plants, roots and bugs that can do the same. The problems is for many chickens, they don't get out and about in the right environment to find these things.
I have palpitations at moult time for example when the hens lose interest in the commercial feed. But, having watched them forage and felt their crops at dusk it is apparent that they are eating. They seem to know what it is they need and it isn't commercial feed!

Last edited:
Awful as it was, sometimes we need to share with our friends.

Making this public...
My apologies for two things Bob. One for stating my opinion on this matter above and a trebled for piling my problems on you a few weeks ago. I'm ashamed now but you really really helped me at that time, as well as @rjohns39 and @Grammy60 :hugs Just saying :)
I was glad to help and listen. How could I not help. You are free to reach out whenever you feel the need. There is nothing to apologize for. I consider it an honor that you trusted me. :hugs :hugs

Good advice. Thanks for the reminder.
I haven't wormed yet. Drama, drama, drama here ... but I will keep a close watch on their poo & post here if I think it has worked ~ because if it doesn't I have an issue that I will need to deal with because I know for sure some of my girls have @ least 2 types of worms.

Awwww.:love
P4200024.JPG
P4200028.JPG

Roxy was pretty good yesterday. It’s still dark this morning and the birds aren’t up yet, but here’s one that shows her yesterday... since you asked. 🤣
Flo’s comb looks similar to what Belle’s is now, but Belle isn’t laying yet. It’s slightly paler than Snow’s (who isn’t laying yet either 🙄) but i figured once they start it will redden up more, and grow a bit more 😅
Snows face seems to vary a lot, really red at times then pale half an hour later 🤷🏻‍♀️

There is evidence that both these can help to reduce worm load. My belief is there are many more plants, roots and bugs that can do the same. The problems is for many chickens, they don't get out and about in the right environment to find these things.
I have palpitations at moult time for example when the hens lose interest in the commercial feed. But, having watched them forage and felt their crops at dusk it is apparent that they are eating. They seem to know what it is they need and it isn't commercial feed!
I must say that I love when the yard is in its full glory, the tribe is free ranging, and I go weeks without filling their feeders. They are exceptional at finding what they need to eat.

I must say that I love when the yard is in its full glory, the tribe is free ranging, and I go weeks without filling their feeders. They are exceptional at finding what they need to eat.
If it wasn’t for the sparrows and starlings I think I could not fill their feeders for a while 😂
I figure I’ve at least treated the local wild birds for cocci, worms and given them vitamins and minerals if nothing else 😅

Sigh. Just checked the weather. It is down below freezing tonight. I am not cracking open the heated waterer - it is usually a degree or so warmer inside so at least that water is unlikely to freeze.
Take them fresh in the morning.

I opened the pool yesterday! This is too close to the edge for me.
20210421_083902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom