These are my elder sisters chickens. They free range in her and her husbands back garden from morning to dusk. She has had roosters, but here they are not permitted. My sister has had chickens for twenty something years.
Given I'm quarantining at her home and not allowed to leave the house due to Covid restrictions and understandably missing the tribes I've posted so much about here on BYC who were my constant companions for the last ten years, I spend as much time as the weather permits in the garden with the four hens that live here.
Freya, the Swedish Flower hen in the first picture had been sick with an unspecified infection when I arrived and has just finished a course of treatment prescribed by the vet here.
The white hen (Chick) and the tan coloured hen (Mo) are relative new comers and arrived as pullets close to egg laying age.
This is Freya and Chick.
P5070114.JPG

This is Mo.
P5070115.JPG

This is Mini who has been here for a couple of years.
P5070122.JPG

Another shot of Chick. She's the most junior and my favourite.
P5070128.JPG

The more observant of you may notice that while my trousers may be the same as in every other picture I've posted (I have three identical pairs) the purple plastic shoes are a marked departure from my usual boots. Don't take the piss please. They are the preferred garden footwear here and not my choice of footwear.:idunno

These are my elder sisters chickens. They free range in her and her husbands back garden from morning to dusk. She has had roosters, but here they are not permitted. My sister has had chickens for twenty something years.
Given I'm quarantining at her home and not allowed to leave the house due to Covid restrictions and understandably missing the tribes I've posted so much about here on BYC who were my constant companions for the last ten years, I spend as much time as the weather permits in the garden with the four hens that live here.
Freya, the Swedish Flower hen in the first picture had been sick with an unspecified infection when I arrived and has just finished a course of treatment prescribed by the vet here.
The white hen (Chick) and the tan coloured hen (Mo) are relative new comers and arrived as pullets close to egg laying age.
This is Freya and Chick.
View attachment 2655884
This is Mo.
View attachment 2655885
View attachment 2655886
View attachment 2655887

The more observant of you may notice that while my trousers may be the same as in every other picture I've posted (I have three identical pairs) the purple plastic shoes are a marked departure from my usual boots. Don't take the piss please. They are the preferred garden footwear here and not my choice of footwear.:idunno
Not take the piss??

Alright, but you owe me one.

This is Freya and Chick.
View attachment 2655884
This is Mo.
View attachment 2655885
View attachment 2655886
View attachment 2655887

Gorgeous hens by the way.

Any news from the tribes? I had a pang in my heart yesterday, thinking of them.

Oh yes - I was just kidding - I couldn't figure out why they decided to nest there and I was speculating that maybe they wanted to move in with the Princesses.
I hope they survive the fox. I a also worried that there isn't much to eat in my swimming pool but if I put out feed it will attract the fox. This is so stressful!
How long do duck eggs take to hatch?
It is out of your hands and it probably should be imo - they picked your pool. Since they have a nest with eggs I would let them try it. They are finding food or they wouldn't be in the area. They may be a new pair so may or may not know what they are doing, or other experienced pairs are denying them better spots, if there are better spots. Maybe your spot is a good one. Who knows? Hopefully they'll survive and have a successful nest, or survive losing the eggs and find a better place next time. At least you don't have snapping turtles in your pool (right?), those are major killers in our area to both adults and young. So that's a major plus! Very safe place to retreat if they can make it to hatching.

Gorgeous hens by the way.

Any news from the tribes? I had a pang in my heart yesterday, thinking of them.
No news. I have asked the man who comes to close them up at night to send some pictures when he can.
Hard to know if I'm better off not knowing. I think about them a lot.

This is Freya and Chick.
View attachment 2655884
This is Mo.
View attachment 2655885
View attachment 2655886
View attachment 2655887

I like the shoes (and the chickens of course).

It is out of your hands and it probably should be imo - they picked your pool. Since they have a nest with eggs I would let them try it. They are finding food or they wouldn't be in the area. They may be a new pair so may or may not know what they are doing, or other experienced pairs are denying them better spots, if there are better spots. Maybe your spot is a good one. Who knows? Hopefully they'll survive and have a successful nest, or survive losing the eggs and find a better place next time. At least you don't have snapping turtles in your pool (right?), those are major killers in our area to both adults and young. So that's a major plus! Very safe place to retreat if they can make it to hatching.
Thank you for those words of encouragement. No turtles in the pool I hope!

Back
Top Bottom