Chick and Mini.
Chick laid her first egg a couple of days ago. It was blue like Mo's.
Mini, the Silki in the picture has been broody recently and hasn't started laying again yet.
Mini hasn't got a clue about what goes on above her head! I have to practically put my hand on the floor to give her a treat or she doesn't see it in time to prevent one of the others grabbing it.
They will all eat from my hand now, something my sister hasn't been able to achieve before. Chick will jump onto my lap and while she won't settle she will allow me to touch her without jumping straight off.
View attachment 2667604
Love the mug! ;)

For me, the magpies are my most loved and most feared. Their carolling is wonderful and they're extremely friendly and clever. Except when one decides to defend its nest (and you can't blame them for that).

Here are some friendly maggies.

I love their song too. It always reminds me of holidays on my Poppy's farm. The Maggies were always the dawn chorus we heard first thing.

I love their song too. It always reminds me of holidays on my Poppy's farm. The Maggies were always the dawn chorus we heard first thing.
That would have been amazing!

There used to be a pair living in the jacaranda out front of somewhere I used to live. We had a lovely friendship! They'd start carolling when the car pulled up and I'd get out and try to join in. They liked it and we'd all be carolling together :D

The gentleman magpie used to prefer sauntering along to flying. He only used his wings when absolutely necessary.

I used to give them tiny pieces of bacon on Sunday mornings.

They were delightful.

What is your favorite native bird? Just curious there are so many beautiful species over there.
Has to be a Rainbow Lorikeet for me.

800px-AucklandZoo.1008.JPG

Yesterday was not the best of days. I was rear-ended. I'm pretty much ok, stiff, sore, and brushed today. I am waiting on CT scan for my neck as a precaution because of the cyst I have on my spinal cord.

View attachment 2666785

I was only 5 miles from my house so the police let me drive it home to save a tow bill.

The police were there because what initiated the crash was a postal worker delivering mail. She went to pull away from the mailbox and did not see the guy in front of me. He could not go around her because of the oncoming traffic.

I saw all this and stopped safely behind the guy in front of me. Suddenly I feel the impact and hear glass shatter as I'm pushed into the guy in front.

The kicker to all this is postal worker refused to give her information and left the scene. While she was not hit, she was at the very least a witness and needed to stay or give her info.

After the police finished with the 3 of us they were heading to the post office to find her and talk to her.

The guy in front of me only had a small scuff mark of his trunk where I was pushed I to him. I was the cream filling in a car sandwich.
I hope you're feeling better soon. Tail-gating is one of my absolute pet-hates, and 9 out of 10 motorists do it in Australia. I think the majority of them don't realise they're too close but it sh*ts me to tears. :he :old

There are so many beautiful & wonderful Australain birds to choose from.
I love Bee~eaters:View attachment 2668046

Fairy wrens:View attachment 2668062

Pardalotes:
View attachment 2668072

Lyrebirds
View attachment 2668070

I could go on & on. There's cat birds, fig birds & bower birds, Rails & roadrunners, whip birds, bellbirds, marsh hens & Pitas. 🤗
Oh wow those are some beautiful birds! I especially love the color of the feathers on the bee-eater and the tail feathers on the lyrebirds are absolutely stunning 😍

Although I couldn't watch your video again I have one to contribute on the 'bad mood' topic.
This was hard to see - but also very surprising. Apologies it is a bit long.
In it we see Elizabeth who I believe is top hen and who never enforces her position take on first Minnie who is bottom hen and sweetness itself, and then later Diana who is prone to pecking (at least me).
Note that Maggie who usually picks on the roadrunners is entirely uninvolved and note also how the road runners crowd around the second fight cheering them on.
I can't imagine what went on to put Elizabeth in such a fighting mood.
Hormones? My Millie has been attacking Flash like that relentlessly. And Cashew and Buttercup had a chest-pumping brawl the other day (Cashew won, just like two years ago when Buttercup went after a chick). Millie and Cashew are my only two who have gone significantly broody.

Back
Top Bottom