@micstrachan : How is Ruby today? Is she picking up?

@Scrambles83: I can't find your post but you were asking about run litter...? I do indeed use sugar can mulch as someone mentioned but like any other organic material it goes greasy if it gets wet enough. Your best bet is really good drainage. I know there are some good articles on coop drainage on here if you care to look. I have fairly good drainage [by accident not design] so rarely have the coop go slimy on me unless we have weeks of torrential rain. I will toss a bale in when it gets to that stage. I like to use organic material as it brings plenty of bugs & slugs for the girls.

Fly safe.
Just got back. All good, no fires to report. Couple of house fires in Fresno, but local fire departments have those under control. Kinda bumpy landing due to a cross wind, but controller warned of it. I came in low from the east to avoid any microburst. I’m safe, chickens are safe, but I’m a little tired now (probably too much bacon) :gignow, trying to catch up on the BYC trivia. Not easy these days it seems!

Just got back. All good, no fires to report. Couple of house fires in Fresno, but local fire departments have those under control. Kinda bumpy landing due to a cross wind, but controller warned of it. I came in low from the east to avoid any microburst. I’m safe, chickens are safe, but I’m a little tired now (probably too much bacon) :gignow, trying to catch up on the BYC trivia. Not easy these days it seems!
I am very glad to her it. Thanks for letting me know.

@micstrachan : How is Ruby today? Is she picking up?

@Scrambles83: I can't find your post but you were asking about run litter...? I do indeed use sugar can mulch as someone mentioned but like any other organic material it goes greasy if it gets wet enough. Your best bet is really good drainage. I know there are some good articles on coop drainage on here if you care to look. I have fairly good drainage [by accident not design] so rarely have the coop go slimy on me unless we have weeks of torrential rain. I will toss a bale in when it gets to that stage. I like to use organic material as it brings plenty of bugs & slugs for the girls.
Thanks. I have read through a few just now. Our yard is flat and it’s only rain that wets it, all gutters and down pipes flow underground and away thankfully. Some grass is trying to creep its way into the run (which the girls then demolish) so I think adding a thick layer of mulch or chips is what I will try and see what happens.
Under the layer of soil it is all clay so that’s what stops it draining well after a lot of heavy rain, I’m thinking the chips/mulch if thick in depth will at least mean they aren’t slugging around in that.
If it doesn’t work it can go on the garden and I’ll try something else, trial and error before winter 😊
Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it 👍🏻

Thanks. I have read through a few just now. Our yard is flat and it’s only rain that wets it, all gutters and down pipes flow underground and away thankfully. Some grass is trying to creep its way into the run (which the girls then demolish) so I think adding a thick layer of mulch or chips is what I will try and see what happens.
Under the layer of soil it is all clay so that’s what stops it draining well after a lot of heavy rain, I’m thinking the chips/mulch if thick in depth will at least mean they aren’t slugging around in that.
If it doesn’t work it can go on the garden and I’ll try something else, trial and error before winter 😊
Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it 👍🏻
You could try some Gypsom; it breaks down clay. I'm just not sure if it's ok to use around chooks. Maybe someone else will know. @Aussie-Chookmum is our best gardener.

Rich is doing well. His testing showed that his entire GI track is very angry and irritated but no significant changes.

The colonoscopy showed everything looks good no tissue death from the aneurysm, which is wonderful! That means no surgery on his bowel.

He is back to a full diet and as long as every thing says the same he'll be home tomorrow.

Rich is doing well. His testing showed that his entire GI track is very angry and irritated but no significant changes.

The colonoscopy showed everything looks good no tissue death from the aneurysm, which is wonderful! That means no surgery on his bowel.

He is back to a full diet and as long as every thing says the same he'll be home tomorrow.
:bow :celebrate:wee:ya:ya:ya:ya
seems my prayers are being answered 🙏

Great news, thanks for the update 💜

Back
Top Bottom