Or medicated water...wondering about the rest of the hatch actually, poor little ones! My understanding is the adults can cope with it in the environment because they've built up resistance, but the little ones need help fending it off for about eight weeks until they get some resistance too. If chicks or adults don't encounter it until they go to a new place, or they get a weakened system due to stress or something, they can still develop illness later. So for chicks, who really have so little defenses and die so easily, help with medicated feed or water is a good "just in case" strategy. That's all I know.

But you were dealt a bad hand here. There's likely nothing you could have done. Repeating this because you probably need to hear that again. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this now. :hugs
You are correct. It is deadly in chicks. They have limited ability to withstand it. That is why medicated feed is so important.

Elizabeth dropped by to ‘assist’ me in typing on my phone.
Happy Sunday chicken people.
View attachment 2716743
Hi Elizabeth

20210613_153148.jpg

I’m very sorry my friends, I haven’t been on here very much lately, but I have been busy trying to take care of a lost friends business, and his family. Forgive me please.
No worries. Take care of what you need to. We are not going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom