Chicken tax, SHRA and other. Popcorn! Her fluffy butt, early for Friday, as she's foraging this evening. View attachment 2723128

Spotlight of sun on her fluff! I couldn't get closer...
View attachment 2723129

Glint on certain hackles feathers is interesting.
View attachment 2723131

In other news Hazel is/was doing some kind of small molt. The last several days there've been fluff feathers, and some two-feather feathers - a long fluff and a small less fluffy one seemingly on the same shaft, and one big contour feather lying about. She looked a little scraggly and her thigh area shape doesn't look the same. Might account for her grumpiness.

Interestingly, Peanut got on Hazel's case and pursued and pecked her on the neck recently. Hazel went running. :eek:

I checked Butters' neck and she's got about an inch of nice new feathers out of the pins and coming in under the hackles! She squatted and let me stroke her yesterday. :love
Love the sun on fluff picture - so pretty!

OK, Let's Revisit the Chicks & Medicated Feed vs Medication

First to put one misconception to bed. One in which I too was caught up.

After a feed review where I evaluated 11 different Medicated Chick feeds, there are NO non-pathogenic strains of coccidia in use. That is incorrect and I apologize for repeating that bad information. Let me say that again so it is clear.

THERE ARE NO FEEDS WITH NON-PATHOGENIC COCCIDIA

Of the 11 feeds I evaluated:
  • 9 use Amprolium (Corid)
  • 1 uses Monensin (Cobon)
  • 1 claims that Diatomaceous Earth in the feed will kill coccidia
So what does this mean.

DO NOT USE MEDICATED FEED AND MEDICATION AT THE SAME TIME

Amprolium imitates Thiamine (vitamin b1) which is essential for Coccidia to grow. When Coccidia ingest Amprolium instead of Thiamine they experience Thiamine deficiency and starve from malnutrition. Your chicks also need Thiamine.

IMPORTANT: Because of this Amprolium has a very narrow margin for error. Overdosing can lead to hemorrhagic diathesis (spontaneous bleeding) and death.

DO NOT EVER TREAT CHICKS THAT ARE ON MEDICATED FEED WITH AMPROLIUM

The medicated feed is already dosed correctly for your chicks. The use of medicated feed alone is effective at the prevention of coccidiosis.

However, if you chicks are already showing symptoms of coccidiosis you should use a NON-MEDICATED feed and MEDICATE them. This will enable you to use a higher dose of Amprolium in order to get on top of the infection.

Treatment
So what is the prescribed treatment for coccidiosis?

The Poultry DVM recommends a therapeutic dose of 0.024% in water to reach therapeutic levels. If you are utilizing Corid 9.6% liquid solution, that would be 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Treat for a minimum of 5 and up to 7 days. This must be their only source of water for those days. No rain puddles etc.

After the initial dose taper to 0.012% for another 5 to 7 days. That would be 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.

If you are going to use Medicated Feed at the end of the second treatment you can switch them to medicated feed and you should be fine.

If you are NOT going to use medicated feed, you need to switch to a final tapering dose of 0.006% for 7 days. That would be ½ teaspoon per gallon.

Storage

Chicks are not going to drink a lot of water. How long can I store this stuff? Any medicated water which the chicks have not consumed in 24 hours should be discarded. Prepared solutions may be stored in clean, closed, and labeled containers for up to 3 days at temperatures between 41°-77° F or 5°-25° C.
Is the pdf visible?
I have the amprolium Corid 20% Soluble Powder, so the liquid instructions don't work. I kept this chart from the manufacturer back when everyone was chicks, figuring I would go by the "Water Tank Mixing" ratio of 1/3 tsp to 1 gallon of water. Since doing 1/3 tsp is hard and I don't have a grams or ounce scale (I should get one, what kind is good?) I would make 3 gallons and do 1 level teaspoon (prevention), throwing out the old mixed water after a couple of days and making it fresh again. Does this jive with your current information?

This was with non-medicated chick starter supplemented with protein every day and a little later non-medicated high-protein game bird feed.

Attachments

• CORID chart.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
More Slow-Motion Eating

So I set out to get some side view slow motion of Hattie eating so we could see her tongue at work and someone got in my way, twice!

So I switched targets and moved on to Sansa. You can see her tongue at work with the first bite. Sorry I could not get closer. I was having issues balancing the phone.

And yes, Sansa is targeting the purple corn! 😆
This is very cool. Good job! I see tongue action with both slo-mo bites of Sansa but the first one is best. With Phyllis, her top mop actually makes a good shield guarding the food, blocking the view of it from other chickens, delaying their strike, see how Hattie has to wait! I hadn't considered that. So there's one advantage of those feathers beyond just beauty. (Oops I shouldn't say "just beauty" to such a top model! :oops:)

I am finally caught up!!

My view while resting my foot after work...
20210617_192644.jpg

Back
Top Bottom