And the flashes of lightening are keeping me awake. @ 1:30 AM PST (I hope my feathered family, isn’t scared out in the barn/coop :fl)
Yes, of course I went out into the dark and checked on them. 2:30. Only my rooster Jaffar was awake. (I took him inside with me, to the chicken room. Now I’m laying on the spare bed, with Jaffar snuggled beside me. (Two old friends, reunited again :love):D

Yes, of course I went out into the dark and checked on them. 2:30. Only my rooster Jaffar was awake. (I took him inside with me, to the chicken room. Now I’m laying on the spare bed, with Jaffar snuggled beside me. (Two old friends, reunited again :love):D
B8A1D3A7-4DF5-40C8-8EE9-A46CAD02DA55.jpeg

After the discovery yesterday of momma hens new brood I made some observations while outside getting things ready for the yard sale this weekend. The way these chicks are getting around so easily and the fact that several are already showing signs of feather growth on their wings I think they were close to 3 days when she brought them home. They also already seem to be aware and are avoiding being directly under her bad foot when she is walking around so that is a good thing. I scrambled around and set up yet another maternity ward for them last night. Wanted to put them in the run with Holly and her little over 2 week olds who were supposed to be the last chicks but nope, both hens ready to kill each other. All 10 of them have almost identical markings, and 5 have feathered legs. Drummie's genes are strong. And while weeding around her banana tree's my neighbor found her nest. I had walked by her almost daily and didn't know it, she was in the middle of the biggest group of banana trees. She may be evil right now, but old momma is one smart hen,

She has never been much of a cuddler. She is Sammy’s Daughter by a Hyline hen, so more “Production” genetics than I like, one of her siblings also looks to have internal laying issues, and probably won’t be with us this winter. She is starting to look very uncomfortable. My Blind lady on the other hand is doing quite well so far in with the rest of her flock. (I say flock and not tribe here as there isn’t much choice in the matter with this bunch) There are two groups of Layer rescues in with Hawk, and the four of Sammy’s daughters I was hoping to breed with Hawk for the BB X oo crossed to Bb X oo with the Marans dark brown as well.

Speaking of rescues, y’all that know will understand, and if you don’t, you probably don’t want to. The farm got another 6 chickens! 🤦‍♀️ because the 12 POL they have acquired since 2019 are only maybe giving 2-3 eggs a day! (Of course it helps if they have things like nest boxes, feed and water… but I’m just a crazy Citiot still getting 6-8 eggs out of my 10 2018 girls)
Those poor chickens. 😥

And the flashes of lightening are keeping me awake. @ 1:30 AM PST (I hope my feathered family, isn’t scared out in the barn/coop :fl)
I do love a nighttime thunderstorm and I will stay up and enjoy the storm for a while if I am woken by one.

Back
Top Bottom