Great sadness
I don’t think Diana will last much longer. Maybe not even the night.
About a week ago I found an egg with no shell in the nest box.
Each day after there was evidence of a no shell egg - though it was always eaten (by Diana) by the time I found it.
It took me a while to be sure it was Diana’s rather than Elizabeth’s problem.
For sure Maggie was laying normally and so were the road runners.
While figuring it out I was dosing both Elizabeth and Diana with 400 mg of calcium citrate on top of layer feed and oyster shell available on demand.
I also scrambled eggs with calcium carbonate for anyone interested.
This morning I picked Diana up to give her the calcium pill and was immediately covered in egg yolk. She was fine running around and even caught a baby snake and played tug-o-war with Maggie for it.
I gave her a warm bath which she liked until she didn’t but that didn’t help and in the middle of the day i gave her more calcium and again I got covered in egg coming out of her vent. No shell.
I just lubed up and had a feel around but nothing to feel.
In the last couple of hours she has become clearly unwell. She is still drinking but has her tail down and is not chasing bugs let alone snakes.
I have put her in the brooder which is in the coop so she can be with her friends but the outlook doesn’t look good.
I don’t know how I feel. I don’t think I could have done anything else. I hate to see her so miserable, on the other hand she had a lovely chickeny day for most of the day.
I don’t know if I will be able to put her out of her misery if she is still alive but suffering in the morning. I don’t reallly know what to do.
Poor Diana.
Oh RC! 🥺 and Diana! 🥺🥺 I agree with so many others, you have done so much already. I hope ...and maybe it is against hope, but I don't care!! Still hoping... that she perks up after resting tonight.
Otherwise, I think Shad and the 3 days is a good thing to give Diana and yourself time to really figure things out. :hugs

It’s what I can do For her and you RC
Thank you. :hugs

The big roost looks awfully big without Diana.
8EECD8CF-212B-4974-BF91-0A16EFAEC047.jpeg

She is at the same level in a sort of hospital zone looking across at them. She has a little roost but she has settled into the shavings on the floor of the box. I think she knows she is safe and with friends.

Ok, internet seems to be working again! I’ve got five or six new chicks, one that probably won’t make it, as mom crushed the egg and it still has a yolk sack, I put that under another girl and am hoping for the best, but expect to find it died on my next check. My batteries are done on the trailer, generator is out of gas, I couldn’t run an incubator or get it up to temp in time. We lost the Blind girl sometime yesterday as well, I’ve been so out of it I’m not sure when or how, but when DH went to put her up on a roost last night she was gone.

The Second Moderna Dose knocked us on out butts, big time. It took 12hrs to hit, but fever, chills, body aches. I was weak as a newborn Kitten and DH wasn’t much better. He had to go into town to pick up the chickens though. There was a lot of napping in the truck.

I was basically on my own here for egg deliveries and chicken chores. At 10 am I stumbled out and managed to open up Hawk, I didn’t stay to see if everyone got out, I got Mr Maran, and Barney open before struggling back to bed, Gatorade, and Blankets for about half an hour. It was little bursts of activity all day interspersed with long periods of lying down covered in blankets and sucking back fluids. I called my mother, she had basically no side effects, and she helped me do the meat chicks and deliveries. Everyone got Food and Water, but that was about it.

I set up the meat Chicks today for their first day free ranging, of course the cockerels from the two pens immediately set to trying to “establish” themselves. Well, Roostie fixed that! He gently but firmly stopped all the little guys from fighting. “Who’s the biggest? Neither of you, that’s for sure” he doesn’t even have to really peck them, he just waddles up to the combatants and they stop. He was also flirting with the younger girls a little, but no real attempts at anything with them… just a “look how beautiful I am!” Dance.

You people should see my arm. (I won’t show it) but I got scratched from breaking up a fight between two of the Barred Rock youngsters. Their nails are like razors ! :old And it was a nasty fight.
Here is Jaffar, telling me “don’t get between my ladies like you did, that’s my job to stop the fights”
752EC284-CDC5-4EF7-A13F-83D07F3F9203.jpeg

Great sadness
I don’t think Diana will last much longer. Maybe not even the night.
About a week ago I found an egg with no shell in the nest box.
Each day after there was evidence of a no shell egg - though it was always eaten (by Diana) by the time I found it.
It took me a while to be sure it was Diana’s rather than Elizabeth’s problem.
For sure Maggie was laying normally and so were the road runners.
While figuring it out I was dosing both Elizabeth and Diana with 400 mg of calcium citrate on top of layer feed and oyster shell available on demand.
I also scrambled eggs with calcium carbonate for anyone interested.
This morning I picked Diana up to give her the calcium pill and was immediately covered in egg yolk. She was fine running around and even caught a baby snake and played tug-o-war with Maggie for it.
I gave her a warm bath which she liked until she didn’t but that didn’t help and in the middle of the day i gave her more calcium and again I got covered in egg coming out of her vent. No shell.
I just lubed up and had a feel around but nothing to feel.
In the last couple of hours she has become clearly unwell. She is still drinking but has her tail down and is not chasing bugs let alone snakes.
I have put her in the brooder which is in the coop so she can be with her friends but the outlook doesn’t look good.
I don’t know how I feel. I don’t think I could have done anything else. I hate to see her so miserable, on the other hand she had a lovely chickeny day for most of the day.
I don’t know if I will be able to put her out of her misery if she is still alive but suffering in the morning. I don’t reallly know what to do.
Poor Diana.
I am so sorry. If she is suffering terribly I hope you will be able to help her. My chronic shelless layer is otherwise healthy, and not in any pain, so she continues on in a retirement arrangement :hugs :hugs:hugs

Random chicken observation/thought

It boggles my mind to watch the girls movements. Particularly when they are excited to get to something and run toward it.

Kinda a blend of a bipedal and mack truck 😆 I find it so comical to watch them
My husband and I both crack up when we watch our chickens run across the yard. It’s hysterical!

Back
Top Bottom