Ok, internet seems to be working again! I’ve got five or six new chicks, one that probably won’t make it, as mom crushed the egg and it still has a yolk sack, I put that under another girl and am hoping for the best, but expect to find it died on my next check. My batteries are done on the trailer, generator is out of gas, I couldn’t run an incubator or get it up to temp in time. We lost the Blind girl sometime yesterday as well, I’ve been so out of it I’m not sure when or how, but when DH went to put her up on a roost last night she was gone.

The Second Moderna Dose knocked us on out butts, big time. It took 12hrs to hit, but fever, chills, body aches. I was weak as a newborn Kitten and DH wasn’t much better. He had to go into town to pick up the chickens though. There was a lot of napping in the truck.

I was basically on my own here for egg deliveries and chicken chores. At 10 am I stumbled out and managed to open up Hawk, I didn’t stay to see if everyone got out, I got Mr Maran, and Barney open before struggling back to bed, Gatorade, and Blankets for about half an hour. It was little bursts of activity all day interspersed with long periods of lying down covered in blankets and sucking back fluids. I called my mother, she had basically no side effects, and she helped me do the meat chicks and deliveries. Everyone got Food and Water, but that was about it.

I set up the meat Chicks today for their first day free ranging, of course the cockerels from the two pens immediately set to trying to “establish” themselves. Well, Roostie fixed that! He gently but firmly stopped all the little guys from fighting. “Who’s the biggest? Neither of you, that’s for sure” he doesn’t even have to really peck them, he just waddles up to the combatants and they stop. He was also flirting with the younger girls a little, but no real attempts at anything with them… just a “look how beautiful I am!” Dance.
I'm sorry about the blind girl. :hugs:hugsThere must have been more going on.

The second Moderna has been known to do that but hopefully it won't be too long until you back up and running.

You people should see my arm. (I won’t show it) but I got scratched from breaking up a fight between two of the Barred Rock youngsters. Their nails are like razors ! :old And it was a nasty fight.
When Aurora and Hattie went at it I stayed out. Unless someone is seriously injured I do not get involved.

It was mild but sunny here today, good for winter! I got out and cut back our apple and almond trees, then weeded half of the path that goes all the way around the back of the house (damn ‘cooch’ grass, spreads over everything).
I got to test the theory that my hens do NOT entertain earthworms in the least, and Belle started perching on my back so that was time to pack it in for the day.
I sat in the run just before sundown and fed them some left over pasta and Belle had another crack, getting up on my shoulder for a bit. I love that, although less frequent, she still does this. Snow squatted (quivering while doing so, it makes me laugh so much) when I was leaving so I gave her a few good pats before letting them go to bed.
I miss not having as much time and good weather to spend with them like this.
Sounds like this was a good day though! It's nice when you get one now and then. :thumbsup

I'd be inclined to remove some of the potting mix first so the overall height is not raised and put straw over the whole of the planter so the nesting site looks the same as the rest of the planter box.

Have you left a fake egg in there for her?
I have. She has one of the white ceramic eggs in there so she doesn't give the nest up.

Yes that is right. Good memory! Diana is still alive this morning and she is drinking. I haven't yet managed to tempt her to eat and she isn't pooping normally so I am still not optimistic. I hate to stress her but I think I should give her calcium pills again today.
I'm glad to hear she is still with us. Have you considered talking her to the vet? There could be an infection in process now possibly as a secondary event.

I so hard when production birds start having egg laying issues. My thoughts are with you both. :hugs :hugs

I'm glad to hear she is still with us. Have you considered talking her to the vet? There could be an infection in process now possibly as a secondary event.

I so hard when production birds start having egg laying issues. My thoughts are with you both. :hugs :hugs
The trouble is the weekend. I have only found one guy willing to see chickens and that surgery doesn’t do weekends.
I will call on Monday if she is still with us and not obviously at the end.

I manage to get a picture of Thunder the Sasquach taking a dust bath. He rarely is ever not on alert, so I snapped this from my bedroom window.

20210620_094301.jpg

Back
Top Bottom