The trouble is the weekend. I have only found one guy willing to see chickens and that surgery doesn’t do weekends.
I will call on Monday if she is still with us and not obviously at the end.
I get that for sure. Here's hoping she doesn't worsen. :hugs :hugs

Maggie worshipping the sun.
Crazy chicken. It is way too hot to be doing that!

562DD514-910B-4986-80F3-FDA0FFADE2F4.jpeg

Elizabeth had to join in too.

0F4AAFD2-D64A-4861-80DD-FD326F08001A.jpeg

The Second Moderna Dose knocked us on out butts, big time. It took 12hrs to hit, but fever, chills, body aches. I was weak as a newborn Kitten and DH wasn’t much better. He had to go into town to pick up the chickens though. There was a lot of napping in the truck.
My sister advised us to not get the shots on the same day so at least one of us could function in case we had side effects, but for us getting the shot however we could was more important. DH qualified before me, but we ended up getting appointments about a week apart, he got Moderna at a pharmacy, I got the Pfizer at a NY state "mass vaccination" site. 1st shot for both of us was mild, a sore arm and tired for about a day for him, 3 days for me. Then we got our second shots 3 days apart.

2nd shot I woke up the next day and an old shoulder injury was hurting, it hadn't hurt in a long time and I hadn't even moved yet. It was in the opposite side from the jab by the way, not related to that. Some chills and maybe fever that night, then I felt really wiped out for a week or so, but for another ten days to two weeks I lived in a very strange cloud. It was an intermittent forgetful brain fog coupled with fatigue, and a headache kept at bay by drinking at least twice as much fluids as normal for me. Mentally this was very different from what is called "chemo brain," and something was very sneaky about it. I was and wasn't "me". At times I would snap out of it and realize I'd been sort of functioning but in another world and at 30% brain power. If that was a taste of what Covid could be like it's terrible.

I think this contributed to Queenie's death as I was not on top of things in that third week after the shot. Did I hear a warning call? I think I could have heard a quick sound and then nothing more and so didn't act on it. Was that it? I can't really remember well.

DH claimed he didn't feel much side effects from his 2nd shot. But he was doing wacky, forgetful things, which he didn't notice, and at one point he claimed he was out of shape for standing, a claim he has never, ever made before, in 40+ years together. 😆 He could not be convinced any of this was a vaccine effect. :rolleyes:

Chicken tax, beloved Queenie, RIP 😭
IMG_20210503_190734324.jpg

Last edited:
Diana produced this.

00983391-CC53-48FE-80C9-14DD89C6F116.jpeg

Looks pretty good to me. I let her out to play in the chicken yard. She seems perky though hasn’t produced another poop yet.

Meanwhile, while she was in the hospital ward someone else - Elizabeth I think - produced a shelled but very thinly shelled egg that got broken all over the roadrunners eggs.
And Maggie has been in the nest box on two consecutive days but not laid an egg.

Sigh. Calcium supplements for everyone!

My sister advised us to not get the shots on the same day so at least one of us could function in case we had side effects, but for us getting the shot however we could was more important. DH qualified before me, but we ended up getting appointments only 4 days apart, he got Moderna at a pharmacy, I got the Pfizer at a NY state "mass vaccination" site. 1st shot for both of us was mild, a sore arm and tired for about a day for him, 3 days for me. Then we got our second shots 3 days apart.

2nd shot I woke up the next day and an old shoulder injury was hurting, it hadn't hurt in a long time and I hadn't even moved yet. It was in the opposite side from the jab by the way, not related to that. Some chills and maybe fever that night, then I felt really wiped out for a week or so, but for another ten days to two weeks I lived in a very strange cloud. It was an intermittent forgetful brain fog coupled with fatigue, and a headache kept at bay by drinking at least twice as much fluids as normal for me. Mentally this was very different from what is called "chemo brain," and something was very sneaky about it. I was and wasn't "me". At times I would snap out of it and realize I'd been sort of functioning but in another world and at 30% brain power. If that was a taste of what Covid could be like it's terrible.

I think this contributed to Queenie's death as I was not on top of things in that third week after the shot. Did I hear a warning call? I think I could have heard a quick sound and then nothing more and so didn't act on it. Was that it? I can't really remember well.

DH claimed he didn't feel much side effects from his 2nd shot. But he was doing wacky, forgetful things, which he didn't notice, and at one point he claimed he was out of shape for standing, a claim he has never, ever made before, in 40+ years together. 😆 He could not be convinced any of this was a vaccine effect. :rolleyes:

Chicken tax, beloved Queenie, RIP 😭
View attachment 2726987
Lovely Queenie. 🥰

Thanks. I miss her terribly!
But Diana may not be at death's door, and that is good news! Do you plan on consulting a vet about her?
I will try. I don’t have a real chicken vet available. But I found a guy who handles ‘exotics’ and he saw Maggie.
I am not sure if he will see her but I will call on Monday.
Meanwhile, on with calcium supplements.

Well it seems I was wrong (third time this year :gig) I said Rocks-Ann wasn’t laying eggs anymore. But she gave me one today. Was a big surprise to me. Good ol hen Rocks-Ann!:love
Amber is not laying eggs either.

She's been in trouble all week. But got her back to almost normal now. I don't mind about the eggs as long as she's ok

Great sadness
I don’t think Diana will last much longer. Maybe not even the night.
About a week ago I found an egg with no shell in the nest box.
Each day after there was evidence of a no shell egg - though it was always eaten (by Diana) by the time I found it.
It took me a while to be sure it was Diana’s rather than Elizabeth’s problem.
For sure Maggie was laying normally and so were the road runners.
While figuring it out I was dosing both Elizabeth and Diana with 400 mg of calcium citrate on top of layer feed and oyster shell available on demand.
I also scrambled eggs with calcium carbonate for anyone interested.
This morning I picked Diana up to give her the calcium pill and was immediately covered in egg yolk. She was fine running around and even caught a baby snake and played tug-o-war with Maggie for it.
I gave her a warm bath which she liked until she didn’t but that didn’t help and in the middle of the day i gave her more calcium and again I got covered in egg coming out of her vent. No shell.
I just lubed up and had a feel around but nothing to feel.
In the last couple of hours she has become clearly unwell. She is still drinking but has her tail down and is not chasing bugs let alone snakes.
I have put her in the brooder which is in the coop so she can be with her friends but the outlook doesn’t look good.
I don’t know how I feel. I don’t think I could have done anything else. I hate to see her so miserable, on the other hand she had a lovely chickeny day for most of the day.
I don’t know if I will be able to put her out of her misery if she is still alive but suffering in the morning. I don’t reallly know what to do.
Poor Diana.
I've started adding ginger powder too my girls feed, I read it's a big help to getting their vitamins to where they should be. Plus add crushed oyster shells into their food. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom