Two-fer Tuesday?
Noticing Butters' new back feathers are very light, looking a little bleached. Here she is on the left, with Popcorn. You can sort of see her hackle feathers are filling in but there's still quite a noticeable gap.
View attachment 2730326
she does look a little buttered there. ;) Such beautiful hens. 🥰

Noticing lately how roosting problems/shenanigans are way down since Queenie passed. The Buckeyes grew up together, and that's an advantage. Though Queenie was really only about four months roosting with them, not much time to get things really sorted with a new hen close to the same age as the established group. I think only once now has one or more Buckeye been found locked out by the automatic door at check time (but on the perch and still inside the pretty secure little run).

I took a picture of the morning shenanigans. Josh and Scooby have races every morning up the stairs, into my bedroom and up the kitty tree! They then run all over that leap down and race back downstairs only to start it all over again!

20210622_071920.jpg

Scooby is in the bottom tube, just his tail is sticking out...🤣

It is terrible especially when one considers that 108 degrees is just over 42 centigrade which is only one degree above a chickens core body temperature.
If one lives in a region that reaches such temperatures, then if your chickens are dying from the heat I would suggest that not enough care has been taken to ensure they have suitable adequate shade.
It's no good blaming the weather; it's the fault of the keeper.

Just saying.:rant:oops:
Yes, I have been able to keep the hens alive through a heatwave that reached 46 Celsius.

I have had great success with tube feeding medicine to chickens. I start by wrapping the chicken up like a mummy in a big towel so they are immobile. I use a skinny syringe for liquid. It also serves to poke the pill down into the crop. I learned this skill from an article on BYC.
I used cheese to deliver Peggy's special antibiotics after her surgery. It worked really well!

Back
Top Bottom