You are a great roo standing guard over her. Looks like she had a good time.
She did but the whole flock outside of Hattie was after her last night. I literally had to stand next to her to keep them from pecking her. It was crazy. Even Sydney went for her last night. They are clearly irritated with her right now.

He’s beautiful!
Thank you. He's not my boy though, he's Rosie's. I put him up on the roost at night, but she does everything else. Those 2 are developing the type of bond/relationship me and Drumstick have and I love it. Basil is also a very good boy, even though he is into his teenage phase. He has yet to bother any of the girls, show any times of Rooster stupidness to people or crow for that matter. He is protective and watchful over squirrel, Raven, Creamy, Blueberry, and Spooky. Oh yes, mom changed pumpkins name to Spooky, apparently pumpkin is not a name for a black chicken. If he keeps it up he will make a very good 2nd in command as far as the boys go and one day hopefully far away flock leader.

She did but the whole flock outside of Hattie was after her last night. I literally had to stand next to her to keep them from pecking her. It was crazy. Even Sydney went for her last night. They are clearly irritated with her right now.
I find this behavior irritating and baffling. It drives me crazy how they will go after whoever is broody with such intensity.

Squirrels behavior and voice is changing, and when I took a few pictures Monday evening I noticed her face is getting red. She's starting to check out the nest area's and spent a hour in one of the nest boxes yesterday. I just went back and counted, she and Basil are exactly 18 weeks old today. I'm not really expecting that first egg until the end of August or first of September, but that is based on the marans side of her genetics. Her Orpington mother Butter was almost 5 months when she laid her first egg, I'm starting to wonder now if Squirrels first egg will come sooner than I thought. Look at her face, I can't deny that it is definitely not to far away now. It is as red as her momma's. I'll also have to get a picture of both of them together but body wise, Squirrel is as big if not bigger then Butter now to.
DSCN4666.JPG

DSCN4663.JPG

Thank you. He's not my boy though, he's Rosie's. I put him up on the roost at night, but she does everything else. Those 2 are developing the type of bond/relationship me and Drumstick have and I love it. Basil is also a very good boy, even though he is into his teenage phase. He has yet to bother any of the girls, show any times of Rooster stupidness to people or crow for that matter. He is protective and watchful over squirrel, Raven, Creamy, Blueberry, and Spooky. Oh yes, mom changed pumpkins name to Spooky, apparently pumpkin is not a name for a black chicken. If he keeps it up he will make a very good 2nd in command as far as the boys go and one day hopefully far away flock leader.
In my limited experience I believe that the best roosters are raised with other roosters. Looks like you have just that happening there.

Back
Top Bottom