Thank you for this, Ribh. I agree Dorothy was likely “unhelpable” when she fell ill, as it was so fast. But I’ve known fir s long time she was having trouble with egg shells. It’s actually amazing she made it as long as she did, but I’ve worked so hard with Ruby, I feel maybe I should have tried harder with Dorothy earlier on. I thought she only felt lousy when she had a softie in the works, and always perked up after passing it.
It is so hard to know when to intervene and I hate to do it unless I know. If she was passing then and moving on healthy afterwards I likely would not have intervened either other than trying to give her calcium. You can't have chickens on antibiotics all the time. How do you choose that now is the time to do something? It's just too hard to judge.

Leghorns are so susceptible to laying issues that it is just sad. Breaks my heart every time I hear about one having an issue. It was always likely that a laying problem would be her final issue. You did nothing different than I would likely have done, if that provides any solace. :hugs :hugs

Happy Friday!

20210729_191925.jpg

So I never did bring myself to list the silkies the other day. I didn't want to post them with Poppy limping and I wanted to give her a few days to recover, which she did. I may have a solution that will technically allow me to keep the silkies. My grandmother wants them. I have to think on it but she does love my chickens. When she is up here, while she does not like cats or dogs inside she is all the time having Rosie run out and bring in a hen, normally Butter, to hold and talk to for a bit. She has the space, and is able to own chickens if she chose and could even have a boy. What she doesn't have is a coop, but, me and mom got to talking and we could build one for her. In a way they probably would be good for her, she is lonely, but wont allow one of us to move in with her and will not move in with us. She does have a small dog Rusty who she adores and breaks her own no inside animal rule during the winter. I have to think on it a bit more but she's wanting me to keep them for a few more weeks to get a bit bigger and give us time to build a coop and run and then take all 3 plus their Marans brother who is bonded to them. The good thing is she is only 15 minutes away and we are already down there at least every other day these days so if she needed help taking care of them in the future it would be no problem. Like I said though, I need to think on it some more and nothing is set in stone yet.
That would be great if it worked out.

“Tales from the coop”… Jaffar is starting to crow, ladies are groggy (but waking up) seems every age group has their own perching area. The two littles are up on the high perch, close together, but far away from the other birds. Once fully awake (is when the mayhem starts) I’m hoping that there won’t be a disaster today. Plenty of feed stations and water are available. I need to go to the airport for a while. I’m hoping that Jaffar’s inner rooster kicks into high gear and stops any fights. Thanks for reading this, I will keep you all posted. :frow

Apart from the once a day yogurt mix. I've started to ferment their feed again.

Yesterday I couldn't work out where this strong smell of cheese was coming from and it was their feed , wow it was strong. So i will use what is here then start a fresh batch tomorrow.

I think this fermented really help with keeping any fungal problems at bay.

“Tales from the coop”… Jaffar is starting to crow, ladies are groggy (but waking up) seems every age group has their own perching area. The two littles are up on the high perch, close together, but far away from the other birds. Once fully awake (is when the mayhem starts) I’m hoping that there won’t be a disaster today. Plenty of feed stations and water are available. I need to go to the airport for a while. I’m hoping that Jaffar’s inner rooster kicks into high gear and stops any fights. Thanks for reading this, I will keep you all posted. :frow
Please do. I am praying for the best outcome.

Back
Top Bottom