I am worried about Naenae too. Peanut here is laying a bit like that. But not the doubles, or the rate of Naenae.

Peanut laid this last Monday evening. Many months ago there were a couple with a more filled-out tail end too.
View attachment 2783559
Soft, flexible, see I am squishing it with my finger
View attachment 2783560
I know Peanut laid this because she was feeling very poorly for some hours before, and I kept an eye on her and eventually saw her lay it. After awhile she knew it was coming and slowly went to the coop, but decided to not climb or jump up, she waddled slowly under it, then was in the penguin pose for a couple of minutes before finally laying it on the moss under there. I was with her and was so sorry to see her so! She didn't look right the rest of the day either. Next day she was good and back to talking and holding her tail high.

Earlier in the day her tail was down and I swear her expression was terrible, she didn't feel good at all and she wasn't vocalizing her usual tuneful toots. She mostly sat down next to the wire run wall with everyone else foraging in the vicinity and looked bad. I talked to her and stayed close. Nobody bothered her. Maybe because she was totally quiet? Recently Popcorn was coughing after getting something in her airway during a dustbath and Hazel thought that needed all kinds of correction with every honk.

I had backed off of the calcium supplements after transitioning to feather fixer. Not long after there were a couple thin shelled broken eggs, and a flexible broken one. Not 100% sure but but I think probably Butters is also laying these.

So they're back to getting a daily scoop of all-flock crumbles moistened with Greek yogurt, made into little balls, for whoever wants it. I make sure Peanut gets some, and so far she is into eating them every day. Eggs are good so far, it's been a week, no evidence of broken and eaten eggs, and no tails down that I've observed. Someone is laying eggs with weird calcium layers designs and the end is not finished off well but they're not thin, and that's been a regular occurrence. Don't know if that's Butters but I suspect so.

Peanut is a year old. Maybe the supplementation is all she needs, or maybe not. I saw her looking poorly once before this last time, but now I'm making sure she eats the supplement so that may do the trick. If not, is hormone implants an option for someone so young?
If you have someone to do the implant than I suppose it's not too early. I would consider it if they were frequent occurrences but what is frequent? That's up to you.

It's looking fantastic Bob!

I'm recalling some advice Shad provided when Ned, Lucky and Dusty hatched and it was about making sure the chicks could easily get in an out of the best. So I'm just wondering how low the front edge of the nest is. I know it's for keeping bedding from spreading, but will the chicks need some tiny steps to climb up and over?
Great reminder. I will take that out tomorrow. I don't know why I forgot that.

Back
Top Bottom