Is it really hard to raise chickens in such a harsh environment like California. I fill sorry for all the cows I see munching on all the brown grass..
I have one small patch I keep green in the summer, but it has bare patches. The drought is too severe to keep a larger area green. However, our winters are (relatively) mild!

Good question.

The chicks arrive tomorrow. They will be in the old brooder through the day so I can provide nutridrench, check for pasty butt, etc.

Early Wednesday morning, before light, I will remove the ceramic eggs and slip her the chicks. If she accepts them, I will leave them in the walled off section of the coop until nighttime Wednesday. Then I will move the whole family over.

If Phyllis does not accept them, I will move the chicks over and brood them there.

This is where I am now. This is uncharted territory.
It sounds like the perfect plan with a back-up plan to boot!

I have one small patch I keep green in the summer, but it has bare patches. The drought is too severe to keep a larger area green. However, our winters are (relatively) mild!
I enjoy parts of California. I love seeing all the vegetables, fruits and nuts growing. It's amazing to see and smell. I love the smell of the onions. They are my favorite. Don't even have to roll the window down in the truck to smell them..

Cluckle Hut Update

It is essentially done. I need to sand the bottom hinged board as I installed it upside down and there is glue on it that is preventing the top door and the hinged board from meeting smoothly. Aside from that it is ready for chickens!

Here is the completed nest box. View attachment 2783579

Here is the opened door and hinged board.
View attachment 2783580

Here is the front porch and door. This door is temporary until the new automated door arrives. I have the hinged board up in this one.
View attachment 2783581

The view past the porch all the way to the nest box.

View attachment 2783586

Inside the coop looking into the nest box. Check out the window sill!

View attachment 2783587

Looking back towards the front porch.

View attachment 2783588

I could not help myself. I put fresh straw into the nest box for Phyllis and the babies. 💕💕

View attachment 2783589
This is wonderful Bob, well done! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom