I have such limited experience and would really defer to those that know more than I do...
With that disclaimer, I agree with Ribh that our human attempts mimick a chicken mom.

I do understand the fear of not knowing Phyllis's reaction as she hasn't been a mum yet.

Ultimately, what decision can YOU deal with? I'm a big believer in hoping for the best,but preparing for the worst...what is your regret level in either scenario if, heaven forbid, something doesn't go right?

Apologies if this reads gruff...I think you know me well enough by now to understand my tone (I hope!)...said in love and to keep you level. This is an emotional time. :hugs
One other question is when to introduce.
If @BY Bob is considering getting up at 4am and popping them under her I would be more relaxed about it relative to putting them in with her at 9pm and then going to bed and hoping for the best.

One other question is when to introduce.
If @BY Bob is considering getting up at 4am and popping them under her I would be more relaxed about it relative to putting them in with her at 9pm and then going to bed and hoping for the best.
Excellent point, and an important factor.

I wish I lived near! I could take a shift to give him a break.

@BY Bob, everything you will do is in imitation of what a mother hen would do. If Phyllis will accept them I think I would pop them under her. Chicks are sometimes weak under a hen & mum brings them along. But, hey, I've never done this & know nothing.

Is Mum the Answer?

So now that the chicks seemed to have leveled off I have a very important consideration. Please everyone think this over and respond with your thoughts.

is it time for me to turn things over to Phyllis. Would she be better able to bring them along or would she react by pushing them away thinking they were sick?

For some reason I am thinking that Mum could get them to eat better than I can.

This is a serious question. Please give me your honest thoughts on this.
I have done a bit of research on getting a broody hen to adopt chicks, although not in a situation such as this, and it seems that the younger the chicks are, the more likely they are to accept each other. In that case, maybe it's better to try them under Phyllis with you right there if you need to intervene.
It sounds like another sleepless night. I am so sorry, Bob.

The last post there isn't here. I'm so sorry, it is too bad and too sad. 😢 and you've done the best anybody could do :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs Nobody except the post office could have fixed this :he:mad:
She might have hatched on Sunday, even more odds against her. :hit:hugs:hugs
I'd like to get who is responsible and post them for a few days, see how they will feel. It might make them think

The Legbar is Gone

She passed around 1:30 my time. Miss Legbar has passed on. We will bury her next to Dusty. 😪😪😪😪😪 😪😪😪😪😪
Oh Bob, my heart is breaking for you guys and that poor baby 😔 know you did everything you could for her, that she should have arrived days ago to a family that loved her even before arrival.
Goodbye Miss Legbar, you were beautiful and gone too soon 💜

@Blazinga is the other one I can think of with plenty of experience. Where is Shad when we need him? :(
I have been trying not to think along this line.

First he would remind me of the wrong I did with mail order chicks. Then he would help me . Boy do I miss him.

I have such limited experience and would really defer to those that know more than I do...
With that disclaimer, I agree with Ribh that our human attempts mimick a chicken mom.

I do understand the fear of not knowing Phyllis's reaction as she hasn't been a mum yet.

Ultimately, what decision can YOU deal with? I'm a big believer in hoping for the best,but preparing for the worst...what is your regret level in either scenario if, heaven forbid, something doesn't go right?

Apologies if this reads gruff...I think you know me well enough by now to understand my tone (I hope!)...said in love and to keep you level. This is an emotional time. :hugs
Not Gruff at all. Perfect in tone. You are right about one thing. These lives are my responsibility now. I must do what is best for them. I have to make that decision.

Back
Top Bottom