I have been trying not to think along this line.

First he would remind me of the wrong I did with mail order chicks. Then he would help me . Boy do I miss him.
It's that solid common sense that is so invaluable. I tend to be the emotional sort & that's not what is needed just now. :hugsMy heart is breaking for you. No~one could have forseen what has happened but moving forward we need to make the best decisions possible. I just don't have the experience to be really helpful.

One other question is when to introduce.
If @BY Bob is considering getting up at 4am and popping them under her I would be more relaxed about it relative to putting them in with her at 9pm and then going to bed and hoping for the best.
That is the plan. 1 hour before sunrise.......

I will be really wrung out tomorrow.

Bob, what about trying the buff alone for the first hour or two? It's the stronger chick. Then add the black one once you know Phyllis has taken to the buff.

I have no idea if this will work or not, just sharing thoughts.
My only concern is if the black one needs the social support.

If left to my decision, I would keep them together

I have done a bit of research on getting a broody hen to adopt chicks, although not in a situation such as this, and it seems that the younger the chicks are, the more likely they are to accept each other. In that case, maybe it's better to try them under Phyllis with you right there if you need to intervene.
It sounds like another sleepless night. I am so sorry, Bob.
That is fine. Whatever it takes to help these chicks out.

Back
Top Bottom