FBF: Peanut
View attachment 2836502

Also, they found this caterpillar down in a grass clump today, bokked at it and plucked near it, fairly afraid, but then I took it to try to spare it's life in case they decided to taste it. It had two yellow probably stinky protrusions out from somewhere below the "eyes" while they were bokking at it. Anyone know what it is?

Notice behind the "eyes" the tiny bright blue dots, then a yellowish band, then a black band. And it's feet are remarkable, they seem covered by a sort a fan shape.
View attachment 2836505
View attachment 2836506
View attachment 2836507
It's actual head and pincers were tucked under. I'm guessing it's a moth. But what moth?

View attachment 2836508
Found it after scrolling through a guide - it's a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar!

Minnie Update

This one is a little long… nothing in the second half to keep watching for.

Here she takes a step:

I left her outside in the grow-out coop, which lives in the run. She’s surrounded by her flock/tribe. ❤️
Injury to her left leg or foot plus a hard molt! Poor Minnie. I hope in reading ahead I'll find she is doing better! :hugs

Here’s Chaco today, had some apples and carrots I brought to her. FE6A03E3-642F-42A2-AE30-5575AED98191.jpeg 175A2602-33F9-4B91-9365-55913443D9F3.jpeg

Chicken Fight

I cannot say what brought it on but Phyllis attacked Sydney yesterday. I am certain the Sydney was surprised at first. I believe that it may have been over the chicks because it occurred while Sydney had her head down looking at them.

There were 3 different battles. It looked like the surprise attack enabled Phyllis to win the first one, the second could be called a draw but Sydney clearly won the third one. Sydney was on full reminder that Phyllis lost the rest of the day.

Perhaps equally interesting was that Aurora, of all hens, took on Lilly's role from the big Hattie Aurora fight and helped to break up the third fight and, I suppose, settle it.

Unfortunately I was surprised every time and got no video.

I figure this was instigated by the presence of the littles. I figure it could be one of these reasons or perhaps a combination?
  • Was it Phyllis saying stay away from them?
  • Was it Phyllis saying, I want to visit them too so quite running me off?
  • Was it Phyllis trying to move up the pecking order before more chickens join the tribe?
It will be interesting to watch them today but to say this was unexpected is an understatement.

I did get this photo after the third fight was over.
View attachment 2836141
Can I say “fight club “? Bob, they are chickens, I myself can’t figure it out! Jaffar knows, but he doesn’t translate anything to me :idunno

Back
Top Bottom