And that wasn't a small bite either! I guess she has some growing to catch up on.
Are they sleeping on top of the plate now? Do you think they would roost?
Yes they would roost. Yes they are sleeping on top of the plate. It is 78°F (25.5°C) in the room they are in. I have not seen them use the heat plate in some time. Now it is not 78°F outside at night so that will change when I move them outside.

Look at Hazel's tail! She's been molting and not feeling well. She's quite standoffish and doesn't mix it up with everyone for treats or mash balls. Been feeding her ones on the sly, if she'll take them. She rests under the lilac bush a lot. She's grouchy. Look how there's just one feather left back there!
View attachment 2846160

Hazel: What are you looking at?
Me: Your beautiful new neck feathers. Also your tail.
View attachment 2846161

Hazel: Hey! Don't be taking pictures of me like this! Didn't you mention maybe I'd like something called sardines? Well put your phone down and get busy with that, please!
View attachment 2846164
Awww. Poor baby. It's not forever Hazel.

I fed my molting hens sardines last night for the first time ever. They were a big hit!
I love your Buckeyes and Queenie was wonderful as well. I have been thinking that Buckeyes would probably be a great breed for our northern Canadian winters, especially with the pea comb.
They were bred to be cold hardy and their feathers are gorgeous.

Last edited:
I’m in the parking lot at the Avian Vet. I’m having Ruby drained today. Her belly is so swollen, she’s having trouble keeping her feet underneath her. However, she is still eating on her own, so I’m gonna keep supporting her. I plan to tube fluids over the weekend, as sometimes she takes the draining kind of hard.
She has an amazing will to live. What a tough lady. :hugs :hugs

Antibiotics can be responsible for slow crop which if you catch, as you seem to have, early enough, will not develope inot full blown sour crop.
Thank you, that's very good to know. We've been putting ACV in her water and giving her kefir with her eggs as well, to try to offset the negative effects of the antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom