I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
Oh Lozzy that is so hard.
:hugs :hugs
She was a gorgeous lady and had a wonderful life with you - that is a gift you gave her.
Rest in Peace Charlie.
Lozzy, take care of yourself.

There is not a simple answer.
Different foodstuffs digest at different rates. Water goes through the system in minutes. Dense high protein content may take 10 to 12 hours.
It is quite possible to feed a chicken a range of foodstuffs and then a lot of water and have nothing but water pooped out in the next few poops.
Thanks. I was unaware of that possibility. This is helpful to have in the memory bank.

I’m angry with Beethov-Hen! My church friend had gifted me with another bag of meally worms. So as I was out treating the chooks, she jumped up on me and spilled the whole bag onto the ground. I salvaged as many as I could, but I could only save 1/2 of the bag! The rest of the worms, were in the grass, in the dirt and all over me! :old:mad::idunno
naughty girl!
I would day that's an Aurora move but she would never jump on me for anything. 😆 Now leave the bag on the ground and it will be spilled instantly. 😆

Volt and Amp.
These two are Red Rocks, a cross beween a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock.
They are the most aggressive hens in the group.
Volt, instant aggression but over in a flash.
View attachment 2869150

Amp, just plain mean and chases any more junior hen that upsets her.
View attachment 2869154
The pair. Interestingly, Henry won't have anything to do with either of them and chases them away from the food and the weaker hens.
View attachment 2869153
Now this will be a story to follow. How Henry protects the others from them will be very interesting. I believe that is good rooster behavior, right?

I would day that's an Aurora move but she would never jump on me for anything. 😆 Now leave the bag on the ground and it will be spilled instantly. 😆
I believe both Aurora and Beethov-Hen are simply trying to be helpful. They know that the worms need to be spread around eventually and they are trying to save their bucket boys the effort by doing the job for them!
Obvious really!
:lau

Lima is improving.
I've been feeding her scrambled eggs which she likes and will eat a reasonable quantity of. It's time consuming because she wont eat much in one go. I've also got three doses of Flubenvet down her. That's time consuming as well. It's been a beakfull at a time spread over a couple of hours each day. She's spending much less time standing around with her eyes closed and head sunk into her breast.
Best of all and terribly heartrending is she has a friend. When she looks most miserable she goes and cuddles up to one of the legbars. I've watched her do this a number of times now and the legbar does not move away as one might expect her to.
Lima spends a great deal of her out time foraging but recently she has come and sat or stand under my chair.
I've been expecting to arrive at the run one morning to find her dead. If today is anything to go by she may just make it.View attachment 2869192
View attachment 2869193
View attachment 2869195
View attachment 2869197View attachment 2869198
Until today all I've seen of Lima's poop is water and unhealthy looking bits and one very yellow cecal poop. This is what she did today and while it's a long way from good, it does at least have solid content and is getting to a more acceptable colour.
View attachment 2869201

View attachment 2869246
This is very positive. Way to go Lima! You keep fighting. 🥰

I’m so sad to say that Charlie is dead. :hit I came home this evening and hubby told me he found her dead on the ground. She would have been three in November. Her voice sounded a little different for a day or so and I noticed today I could hear her breathing (through her nostrils, she wasn’t panting). Otherwise she didn’t seem any different. She laid an egg today and squatted for me. We buried her with a sliver of cheese to pay the ferryman and a blueberry for her to snack on for the journey.

I honestly don’t know if I can do this anymore. It’s been nearly a year since we lost Lucy, which it the longest we’ve gone without a death. I’m struggling to do the maintenance required and the meds are making it difficult to care about stuff. I’ll see how I feel in a few days.

As it’s still Monday, I’d like to honour Charlie with Monday Mugshots. RIP my big beautiful bully. :hit

View attachment 2869772

View attachment 2869773

View attachment 2869774

View attachment 2869775
I'm really so sad you lost Charlie :(
You did everything you could.

Sending you a big hug :hugs

You are probably right - but Minnie was very distressed at being separate from the tribe as dusk fell. I feel terrible. Maybe I shouldn't have separated her.
She liked the snack in bed set-up but she does not like being away from the others to roost. She has settled down on the floor as close as she can get to the others rather than using the roost I provided.
:(
You had to be able to gather her up this morning. It's easy to feel sad for her but she will make it. You had to be able to gather her without stressing her too much so it was a trade off. She will be back with them soon. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom