Interesting. I've had terrible problems finding chicks after a predator strike successful or not. Mum sends them to cover and somehow they get told to stay exactly where she sent them and not make a sound. They will not show themselves until mum calls for them.
It was one of the problems with Barking Bracket. She would make the go hide and be quiet call okay but seemed to completely forget she even had any chicks and wander off with the tribe minus the chicks. I had to go and find them on a few occasions. In the end it was easier to catch Bracket and place her somewhere near where I though the chicks were and hope the chicks came out.:he
I wish I could remember the peep that brought Legertha out of it. I hope I can fermenter it if I ever need to again.

There are sixteen hens in there. It has to be cleaned out every day. The closest hens are in what was meant to be a nest box. The roof where the box joins the main coop leaks.
The floor to the main coop and the nest box needs replacing.
One side of the roof over the main coop needs replacing.
There is just so much to do.
PA200598.JPG

More about Lima.
I just feel so something:confused:for this poor little hen. She has improved and is still improving.
After lookiing at the last picture you can't tell me chickens don't feel empathy.
I've got three on the danger list. I'm hopeful but...
View attachment 2872765View attachment 2872767View attachment 2872769View attachment 2872771
I will build on the empathy point. On the morning when Minnie was confined to the hospital and I didn't let her out until I had seen her eat and drink Dotty sat all morning on the little roost right across from her. So they were beak to beak but across from each other. It cannot have been an accident - it was for several hours.
:love

My sister isn't sure and the breeder she got the last two hens from isn't responding to the question.
It's a really common problem that slips under the radar over and over again. Plus, in the UK all flock types feeds are quite hard to find and a lot more expensive than the standard layers pellets. Of course, by the time the damage is apparent it's no longer the breeders problem.
That really awful. I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a tough one. :hugs :hugs

😬 😬😬😬😬😬

:hugs:hugs:hugs

They did so well!! Little champions.

Could it have been the hawk who shredded Sansa's tail recently?
I considered that but the feather shredding has progressed to her bum. I'm starting to think that it is super old feathers as she did not molt last year

Back
Top Bottom