Sad to write that my sisters hen Chick who I was very fond of died last week. Vet thinks liver failure possible brought about by feeding layers pellets at to earlier age.
View attachment 2872781
Do you happen to know how young she was when she was eating layers food?

I considered that but the feather shredding has progressed to her bum. I'm starting to think that it is super old feathers as she did not molt last year
That is interesting. Diana has some feathers that look very ratty - not as bad as those but pretty bad - and I wondered the same as she did not molt her tail last year.

Awww… I’m so sorry, Shad! May I ask at what age she was started on layer feed?
SHRA!

IMG_2021-10-21-08-49-40-959.jpg

Ivy and Janet are helping Mary reconsider her lifestyle choices.

This sounds like a great update! Videos are filtered out at work, so I’ll check later. I think you handled it beautifully. Like I said on Shad’s poll thread… what is up with all these crop issues with molting hens? Your situation sounds like MY Minnie, along with Flash. Anyway, it seems things are improving for your Minnie. ❤️
I would really welcome your interpretation of the videos if you can spare the time to watch them.

Not a lot wrong with this young hen apart from a small split in her lower beak.
View attachment 2872795
That should rectify itself, if not too deep of a split, correct?
Naenae had done something to her top beak and the tip went missing...it grew back quickly.not sure if top and bottom beak have different growth/repair rates. Without looking into it, my *guess* would be the lower beak is slower, otherwise we'd probably see more overbites!

Back
Top Bottom