That vet is not far from my house!!

They're my second choice after Dr Mark. If ever he's unavailable, I'm going to move the hens over to Walkerville.
Maybe you could persuade them to do videos like that for all the things we (I) need to learn.
I could do with one for crop massage and checking for egg binding for example.
Just saying!

A Day in the Sun

Yesterday, obviously prior to the Hawks arrival today, the littles were absolutely enjoying the sunshine. I took a bunch of photos of them enjoying themselves by one of the bushes.

Before I share those, compare their joy in the sun to this group of fuddy duddies hiding from the wind in the shade.

20211019_140217.jpg

Here are my babies enjoying the sun!

20211019_140127.jpg
20211019_140104.jpg
20211019_140102.jpg
20211019_140007.jpg
20211019_140014.jpg
20211019_140017.jpg

Sad to write that my sisters hen Chick who I was very fond of died last week. Vet thinks liver failure possible brought about by feeding layers pellets at to earlier age.
View attachment 2872781
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, @Shadrach. She looks like she was a character...and quite friendly... based on the picture.

Not a lot wrong with this young hen apart from a small split in her lower beak.
View attachment 2872795
@Shadrach : question for you...I thought normally the upper beak is a bit longer than the lower one. Not so on this hen......is it because of trimming...or am I not maintaining my hens' beaks well/properly?

Can you use some super glue on her beak...and file it gently if needed...to repair the crack? I had a roo who was fighting and caught his upper beak on a roost....tore it off. I made a 'prosthetic' beak from the curved rim of a plastic container (yes, I know, I am not a fan of plastic, but didn't know what else to do). I oiled where I didn't want the super glue to adhere (the quick), and super glued the prosthetic beak in place. It worked to both protect the quick & allow him to eat some on his own. While this isn't the same, it might keep it from cracking more and give the bottom beak more integrity?

She looks pretty bright-eyed an alert...unlike a couple of the other red hens that seem hunched and unwell or unhappy.

Hopefully you will be able to nurse them to health...or at least make sure they don't suffer.

Back
Top Bottom