Some guache chickens, breed favorites of our keepers. Marans fans do not worry, your time will come soon. Apologies to all the legbar fans.
View attachment 2873880
Today is a special day for Phyllis. She was excited to see it and loves it! ❤

The day got even better. Once I had finished digging the trench and got the wire in the bottom I went and sat on the ground close to the run and trees where a few of the chickens were relaxing. I sit cross legged on the ground. I can get up without having to use my hands quickly if necessary from that position.
I haven't been sitting for long when Lima comes around from behind me, climbs onto my boot and settles herself in my lap, stick her head under her wing and stays there!
Of course I'm entranced and sit there looking at this strange brave hen who would be the keel bone test be pronounced dead having anap in my lap. When I look up, Lima's legbar friend is standing by my boot looking at Lima and five of the Ex Batts are sitting or standing around me close enough for me to breath on.
Henry comes over and after a bit of awkward shuffling around me he gingerly walks up to my knee and gives it a peck then makes the coo cooing sound he makes to his hens when he's talking to them nicely and walks away to join the others.

One of the problems I've had is getting to have a decent look at all the hens and of course Henry. Most people who keep chickens will know that you can have a handfull of chickens under your feet, but bend down to pick one up and there are gone!
I picked up six hens this evening.
That is awesome, Shad! 🤗

The day got even better. Once I had finished digging the trench and got the wire in the bottom I went and sat on the ground close to the run and trees where a few of the chickens were relaxing. I sit cross legged on the ground. I can get up without having to use my hands quickly if necessary from that position.
I haven't been sitting for long when Lima comes around from behind me, climbs onto my boot and settles herself in my lap, stick her head under her wing and stays there!
Of course I'm entranced and sit there looking at this strange brave hen who would be the keel bone test be pronounced dead having anap in my lap. When I look up, Lima's legbar friend is standing by my boot looking at Lima and five of the Ex Batts are sitting or standing around me close enough for me to breath on.
Henry comes over and after a bit of awkward shuffling around me he gingerly walks up to my knee and gives it a peck then makes the coo cooing sound he makes to his hens when he's talking to them nicely and walks away to join the others.

One of the problems I've had is getting to have a decent look at all the hens and of course Henry. Most people who keep chickens will know that you can have a handfull of chickens under your feet, but bend down to pick one up and there are gone!
What a splendid day for you. I am so happy that they are trusting you so quickly, especially Henry! Wonderful! 🥰

Awww, how sweet. You are loved :loveand accepted as a full fledged flock🐔🐓🐔 member now - even by Henry II! :)

I located a summary of the pain study. I can't get the entire article to link to it. Here is the summary.

Neuroma formation and abnormal afferent nerve discharges after partial beak amputation (beak trimming) in poultry​

Summary​

Following partial amputation of the beak recordings were taken of the electrical activity from single afferent fibers of the intramandibular nerve. A total of 192 single afferent fiber units were isolated of which 47 were classified as nociceptors, with an abnormal pattern of discharge, and 89 were abnormal spontaneously active units. Following amputation neuromas were developing by 15 days after surgery and they were well formed by 20 to 30 days. The presence of neuromas together with abnormal spontaneous activity originating from them raise serious welfare questions concerning beak trimming.

Additional info from BY Bob
This neuroma formation is the same as what occurs in human amputees that complain of chronic and acute pain as well as phantom limb syndrome. It is highly likely that de-beaked chickens suffer the same effects.
@BY Bob,

Was torn between informative and Angry response. Anger is not at you, but at the fact that this is known, yet beak trimming is still a common practice. How can this be taught 'as a fact', yet beak trimming still be allowed???? Are we that barbaric of a society? (hmm, since it is true, I guess I just answered my own question!)

@BY Bob,

Was torn between informative and Angry response. Anger is not at you, but at the fact that this is known, yet beak trimming is still a common practice. How can this be taught 'as a fact', yet beak trimming still be allowed???? Are we that barbaric of a society? (hmm, since it is true, I guess I just answered my own question!)
It is practiced so that eggs can cost $1 less per dozen. Humans are horrific creatures sometimes. 😢

You Say it's your Hatch Day........

Today is Phyllis' hatch day. She is 2 today. Everyone please join me in wishing her Happy Hatchday! 🎂🎉🥳

It was a pretty good one for her. Here she is enjoying the day.

20211021_173131.jpg
20211021_173146.jpg
20211021_173147.jpg
20211021_173240.jpg
20211021_173242.jpg
20211021_181805.jpg
20211021_173340.jpg
20211021_173342.jpg
20211021_173344.jpg
20211021_173350.jpg
20211021_173346.jpg
20211021_173358.jpg
20211021_173359.jpg
20211021_173348.jpg
20211021_173403.jpg
20211021_175555.jpg
20211021_175601.jpg

@BY Bob,

It is surprising what people will agree to when they are focussed on profit first.

Yesterday, I read some very interesting (ie appallingly exploitative) things that are in Pfizer's contract with the Australian government regarding COVID-19 vaccines.

Tax
IMG_2021-10-17-15-14-54-763.jpg

Back
Top Bottom