I have no idea what they cost, but I canā€™t even imagine how it works. Where does it retract to? Is it like pocket doors? If so, that would need a lot of space!
My uncle's one is flexible and he turns a handle to roll it up onto it's spindle. Does that make sense? I'm very unfamiliar with the pool cover terminology.

He keeps talking about making a nice wooden box to cover the pool cover spindle.

My uncle's one is flexible and he turns a handle to roll it up onto it's spindle. Does that make sense? I'm very unfamiliar with the pool cover terminology.

He keeps talking about making a nice wooden box to cover the pool cover spindle.
Oh! Like a roller blind or one of those retractable awnings. Clever!

We are not wise enough to understand!
:lau
This guy understands!
šŸ¤” (I caught him speaking hen this morning) 1D71F0FB-3B65-435B-91F9-81AEDAE61CD9.jpeg

I would imagine even a canvas pool cover would keep chickens safe. And if it can be rolled and unrolled easily Bob wouldn't have to put the seasonal pool cover on any more.

Here's an interesting one with thermal properties. I imagine the spindle could be positioned at the end of the pool so it's not a hindrance people enjoying the pool.

uploads.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at adding a rooster for your ladies?
I think about it but want more experience and DH is against it anyway, I think because of the crowing, if he (the rooster) were to crow like the guy across the hollow I'd be in big trouble. DH has been supportive but wary. So baby steps.

It's been an education for DH having these personable hens, he does love animals and he is interested in what's going on with them. He had a bad experience over a few summers many years ago in his 20's when a crazy & irresponsible housemate got 3 chickens for free, which were quite aggressive and would attack people for seemingly just passing by, flying up with feet and spurs going. I think that's why they were free. And they'd fly over the low garden fence, getting into that along with the housemate's 2 goats (Hooper the Pooper and Lilly) which were always getting loose from their grazing areas.

DH doesn't remember any eggs from these chickens or hearing any crowing either, I asked 'cause I wondered if they weren't actually mistreated/problem roosters someone was trying to unload, or mistreated by the housemate. DH just remembers having to defend himself from sudden surprise attacks from the chickens šŸ„· and to keep an eye on Hooper, who was actually quite nice but was always looking to bowl you over when you weren't looking. :lau

Both of these were on the watch list. The Red Sex Link has improved a lot and I hope now all she has to deal with is the moulting. She got a course of Flubenvet for the worms and a course of Coxiod because it was either or her lookalike that was showing blood spots in their poop. I could only narrow it down to the pair of them so they both got treated.
PA220632.JPG
PA220633.JPG

This is Copy. She had crop problems, possibly because of worms. We've dealt with the worms and she seems more comfortable but her crop is still not quite right. From what I can feel there is a lump that isn't breaking up and I think it ends up blocking the exit from her crop when her crop is full, but not all the time. My feeling is that whatever it is may float when she drinks a lot which she has been. She's not quite comfortable with being caught in daylight which is good but inconvenient. I can get her at night, which I have but the has feathers growing right around the crop so massage isn't really an option.
PA220634.JPG

Back
Top Bottom