DH likes to post pictures of the girls on Instagram.

F765BBB2-81A1-4C62-9B3D-0E4F97A7C065.png

And I see Phyllis has chosen the chick end of the roost! That'll be good for future camaraderie.
She has. She used to try out everywhere on the roost but she goes straight there now.

They are not yet mixing in the morning as the littles wait for her to leave before coming out. However there is some conversation which occurs. It may just be Phyllis telling them to be quiet though. 😆

I imagine this will hold for a while until they are bigger.

Does the warming light keep the chickens up at night, or is it not in a place where they roost?
It's angled down, on the same wall as the big door. Last night 3 went with heads in feathers. Several sleep in nest boxes which provide shadows. Several turn their backs to it. I do wind up with eggs through the winter, but haven't had more than 1 or 2 hens over a year old through the winter yet. Those aren't laying every day. In the past, it hasn't kept the water from freezing, but new waterer, closer to water, so testing that. I am getting an egg when I open the coop in the morning (before full daylight) some days, but considering the 3 month hiatus through the summer heat, not worried about her. As the coop is 8×9×7 (feet), the warm patch still gets pretty cold. If I can hang on to all the hens through next winter, I'll get a better idea of how much the light affects them. If it does have a major affect, I'll switch it to red. When I got the bulb, I couldn't find any red ones.

Good morning. I have to go in early today because I have to get to the printer to do a press check. I just put on my sweater and found this in my pocket… Sunflower seeds… Ruby‘s favorite. I know you can all understand the lump in my throat and cracking in my chest. 💔

View attachment 2880773
:hugs :hugs

Good morning. I have to go in early today because I have to get to the printer to do a press check. I just put on my sweater and found this in my pocket… Sunflower seeds… Ruby‘s favorite. I know you can all understand the lump in my throat and cracking in my chest. 💔

View attachment 2880773
:hugs

View attachment 2880773
Yes indeed, we're with you there, it tugs. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom