Good morning. I have to go in early today because I have to get to the printer to do a press check. I just put on my sweater and found this in my pocket… Sunflower seeds… Ruby‘s favorite. I know you can all understand the lump in my throat and cracking in my chest. 💔

View attachment 2880773
Yes I understand completely!

It's angled down, on the same wall as the big door. Last night 3 went with heads in feathers. Several sleep in nest boxes which provide shadows. Several turn their backs to it. I do wind up with eggs through the winter, but haven't had more than 1 or 2 hens over a year old through the winter yet. Those aren't laying every day. In the past, it hasn't kept the water from freezing, but new waterer, closer to water, so testing that. I am getting an egg when I open the coop in the morning (before full daylight) some days, but considering the 3 month hiatus through the summer heat, not worried about her. As the coop is 8×9×7 (feet), the warm patch still gets pretty cold. If I can hang on to all the hens through next winter, I'll get a better idea of how much the light affects them. If it does have a major affect, I'll switch it to red. When I got the bulb, I couldn't find any red ones.
This is just my opinion but I would switch to red rather than experiment. Too much light can lead to behavior problems. For $13 you can have 2 bulbs and no worries. It would be worth it to me for the peace of mind.

https://www.amazon.com/K21761-250R4...5435576&sprefix=heat+lamp+bulb,aps,145&sr=8-4

Good morning. I have to go in early today because I have to get to the printer to do a press check. I just put on my sweater and found this in my pocket… Sunflower seeds… Ruby‘s favorite. I know you can all understand the lump in my throat and cracking in my chest. 💔

View attachment 2880773
Oh Michelle. :hugs:hugs😥

View attachment 2880773
:hugs I'm sorry.

Maybe ruby is playing tricks on you.

As a child when my dog had died I often found reminders of her, it was sort of comforting even though I missed her

We've inadvertently discovered how to keep the chickens off the deck. Actually we don't mind the chickens, but don't really like the stuff they leave behind everywhere. We have a tarp that we lay down over the deck in the winter to keep the melted snow from dripping into their run which is below the deck. The tarp is silver on one side and navy blue on the other. Last year we put it blue side up and had to clean off poop. This year we put it silver side up and they won't put a foot on it. They will jump up onto one of the bricks we use to keep it from blowing away, but they absolutely will not set foot on the silver. Maybe they think it's water? :confused:
20211027_112509.jpg

We've inadvertently discovered how to keep the chickens off the deck. Actually we don't mind the chickens, but don't really like the stuff they leave behind everywhere. We have a tarp that we lay down over the deck in the winter to keep the melted snow from dripping into their run which is below the deck. The tarp is silver on one side and navy blue on the other. Last year we put it blue side up and had to clean off poop. This year we put it silver side up and they won't put a foot on it. They will jump up onto one of the bricks we use to keep it from blowing away, but they absolutely will not set foot on the silver. Maybe they think it's water? :confused:
View attachment 2880954
Very interesting! 🤔

View attachment 2880954
That is until someone accidentally winds up on it.....

Back
Top Bottom