You've got at least two ways to do it: Beets, the best way probably, unless you are getting soft-shelled eggs, for which fruit-flavored calcium supplements will do it (remember @Kris5902 mentioned her pink eggs? I'm also getting a tinge here and there).
Why are beets bad for soft shells? Does it inhibit calcium absorption?

As you may know, the chickens live on a allotment plot. For the first couple of weeks I didn't see anyone down there when I went for two or three hours in the afternoon. I've seen a few of the people that have plots there now and they've all commented on how pleased they are that I'm looking after the chickens and most have mentioned that the chickens are laready looking a lot healthier. I don't know if this is just because it may be the first time they have seen them out of the run foraging and running about or there has actually been a noticable physical change. I know a few, particularly the Red Sex Kinks have put on weight and their plumage definitely looks in better condition.
I think all chickens tend to look better ranging rather than stuck in a run so that may have sosmething to do with it.View attachment 2879015View attachment 2879018
View attachment 2879014
Shad, I think they are definitely looking better already.

And speaking of Legbars an update on Minnie. I am traveling so only checking in via camera and if something catastrophic happens the lady coming in each day will text me. I turned off alerts because there is nothing I can do, but I can look now and then.
Today was a massive storm with torrential rain. My drainage pipe held its own but where I haven’t done a trench the run flooded a lot. The chickens were soooo happy. Minnie spent the whole day digging in the wet and from what I could see was looking rather energetic.
I am feeling optimistic she will pull through.
Everyone together cleaning up after being out in the flood.
View attachment 2879043
Wonderful update! Gooo, Minnie!

I think that a bit more like how it should go. Normally the youngsters are not allowed in the coop until the seniors are settled. At first a few try to roost early because they get worried if it gets dark and they're not in the coop and later they learn just to stay out of the way until the roosting shuffling about is over and then they sneak in.
That’s how it goes in my girls’ coop.

It's a Nor'easter

Apparently there is a nor'easter blowing up around NY City. The wind is howling here. The temp is 56°F (13°C) and it is raining. It's down 20°F from yesterday.

The littles have decided the heated coop is the best place to be.
View attachment 2879053

I was chasing the garbage can (trash bin) down the street and when I took it up the side of the house to put it away I noticed the wind rolling through the grass. Check it out.

The big girls are under the magnolia tree using it and the fence as a wind break.
Oh, wow! Like “amber waves of grain,” except it’s green grass!

Back
Top Bottom