Found my answers: yes cottage cheese is better for them than regular cheese. The fat content is lower, and In moderation, is a good source of protein. Always mix with regular feed, or just a little bit on the side.
SHRA

IMG_2021-11-23-17-45-30-929.jpg

Absolutely fearsome are some carrots!
I've never known a chicken that liked them unless they were chopped and cooked.
I got a small bag of so-called “healthy” scratch treats to try that included dried carrots. Nobody ate the carrot bits. It wasn’t a matter of familiarity, they just thought they were disgusting. They will eat some fresh carrot greens though. But don’t care for fresh carrots either.

I got a small bag of so-called “healthy” scratch treats to try that included dried carrots. Nobody ate the carrot bits. It wasn’t a matter of familiarity, they just thought they were disgusting. They will eat some fresh carrot greens though. But don’t care for fresh carrots either.
Mine like them OK if they are cooked.

At my place, the peels go down nicely but not chunks.

The chickens have had a good day. They have been out all day except for when I made breakfast and I locked them in since we know we’ve got a lot of hawks lately. Here is my view this very moment.
AB2F8294-A2E3-419E-B569-06F01B921CEE.jpeg
31ABEB2A-D568-4D90-901E-C8076E79887A.jpeg
D99ED6AF-492A-41E6-BC30-33F3485C1431.jpeg
3765C968-77FB-4F32-9806-070F94604572.jpeg

These chairs usually live on the patio, but I have them temporally out here for a couple of reasons. For one, there’s a California Live Oak dropping thousands of acorns and sap all over the patio and destroying everything. Second, they protect the area the girls like to dust bathe in from the hawks. Third, they give me a place to sit when they’re foraging right out here in front of the house. It’s a very exposed and I can tell they feel safer when I’m right here.

Mine will eat shredded carrot, but it’s not their favorite. Shredded zucchini, however? Look out!

It is cold and a bit raw out, but when the sun came out Diana chose to sit by my side.
She is such a dear. I am pleased to see she is getting new feathers around her head but there are still lots of naked patches. I also worry about her shell-less eggs and now I think she may be losing weight (though she eats all the time). She is next in line for a weighing.

View attachment 2911006View attachment 2911007
There is a good amount of red in that comb for a molting hen. If she’s laying through molt, that is hard work!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom