Pixel 4a (Google Android) is my phone, it's not cheap, I think I paid US$350 new last summer, but it's cheaper now with their newer "6" phones coming out, and used /reconditioned are available. I replied here https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25146676 it's got a feature the newer ones don't (headphone jack, I only use Bluetooth when necessary) and I really didn't want to spend $800+ on a phone but really did want a better camera. My phones before this were Motorolas in the $60-$160 range. Functioned fine as phones and web browsing but had, as you say across the water, shite cameras for anything other than optimal conditions. Even there I see a difference (it's really the software you're buying). The camera is why I ponied up the additional money: I don't want to carry around both a phone and a digital camera. I looked for the cheapest Pixel with the new camera features and a headphone jack. Also I don't want a big phone.

Tax, same shoot but didn't get the top of her head in the picture. Hazel is an ideal model, maybe a feature of being Sentinel? She stands essentially stock still as she assesses something (me taking out the phone, or maybe Bigfoot was behind me, or a Drop Bear?) :p 😆 View attachment 2910721
My smart phone which is in fact as dumb as a box of rocks is going to be erm, retired, in the near future. I'm sick of having a petulant whinging brat in my pocket that demands my attention every few minutes asking if it can go and play with it's mates from google and assorted aplications.
I have a camera and it's okay fro a snap and if everything is near perfect it will take a half decent picture. My daughter has an old camera (maybe ten minutes old :rolleyes:) that she says I can use because she is sick of me sitting in front of the computer swearing.
I'll see how I get on with that. Thank you for the explanation.

How many days has she been sitting? I ask because unless you miscounted the other day when you said there were 9 someone else is laying in her nest. That is problematic because she is not going to push those eggs aside but tuck them under her and then you will have problems at hatch time. I would take something and go mark the eggs under her, she might get upset for a few minutes while you do this but she'll be fine, depending on how grouchy she is while broody though you could end up being beat up. I'm glad she came off on her own though, because I think she's in the first week of incubation right? It is worrisome and stressful but all my girls during the first week will sit tight and try to go 3 days without moving. I will leave them alone if they don't come off willingly for 2 days, but if they are going into the majority of that 3rd day in a row sitting I will remove them from the nest under protest, and walk about 15 to 20 feet away before setting the hen down. Now she's mad and ready to fight, but she's not allowed back on the nest until she at least relieves herself. Once she does she can go back even if she did not eat or drink, I find I can then get her to eat and drink a little bit while she's back on her eggs. After the first week though my girls settle into a routine of coming off daily for about 30 minutes or so until the final few days. Normally the day or two before I expect them to hatch she'll come off and spend a good hour or longer off, furiously eating, drinking, and dustbathing. I think she knows those chicks are coming and she's sitting tight until the last one is out. When I see that final time off even if she goes 3 days without getting up I'm not messing with her anymore to get her off the nest. I'll go sit beside her and listen, and when I know she has 1 or 2 out a shallow dish of chick starter and water is placed right in front of her so she can encourage them to eat while staying put. Also while all 12 may not be fertile, it's safe to assume that even though Jaffar has 12 ladies to divide his attention between that the majority are fertile. Now whether they all develop and safely hatch out is out of anyone's hands. I hope she has a successful hatch, these would be Jaffar's first chicks right? I think they would make very pretty babies and bet that half that hatch will have some degree of the cochin feathered feet.
I hope you are right!

My smart phone which is in fact as dumb as a box of rocks is going to be erm, retired, in the near future. I'm sick of having a petulant whinging brat in my pocket that demands my attention every few minutes asking if it can go and play with it's mates from google and assorted aplications.
I have a camera and it's okay fro a snap and if everything is near perfect it will take a half decent picture. My daughter has an old camera (maybe ten minutes old :rolleyes:) that she says I can use because she is sick of me sitting in front of the computer swearing.
I'll see how I get on with that. Thank you for the explanation.

I can hear the conversation now.

Shad’s daughter: “Dad, we used to get into trouble for using that sort of language!”

Shad: “$@$:($&@!!”

:p

Everyone should be very thankful I keep my chickens off beakbook.
I can see it now, Momma Hen who in a way reminds me of my late great grandmother would be shaming every hen who was not broody and insisting they get with the program. My grandmother would start in on us girls from the age 18 onward that we were not doing our jobs if she didn't have several grandbabies on the way.

My double trouble girls Blueberry and Raven would encourage all young hens who should have started laying this fall to continue to be freeloaders until spring time. They would also encourage mischief making and create games of trying to goose the rooster and give lessons on bird hunting.

And the boys, Branch, Bubba, and Basil know that there is more rooster less hens then Jaffar can handle and would offer up their services to those on the east coast.

Finally Butter would offer up suggestions on how to become a spoiled house chicken by suggesting to either get a non-life threatening injury even if you have to fake it or by waiting until winter to molt and go bald. Either way you get house privilege's and waited on hand and foot.

I tell you all I'm doing you a service by not letting them know beakbook exists.
Excellent. 🤣

Everyone should be very thankful I keep my chickens off beakbook.
I can see it now, Momma Hen who in a way reminds me of my late great grandmother would be shaming every hen who was not broody and insisting they get with the program. My grandmother would start in on us girls from the age 18 onward that we were not doing our jobs if she didn't have several grandbabies on the way.

My double trouble girls Blueberry and Raven would encourage all young hens who should have started laying this fall to continue to be freeloaders until spring time. They would also encourage mischief making and create games of trying to goose the rooster and give lessons on bird hunting.

And the boys, Branch, Bubba, and Basil know that there is more rooster less hens then Jaffar can handle and would offer up their services to those on the east coast.

Finally Butter would offer up suggestions on how to become a spoiled house chicken by suggesting to either get a non-life threatening injury even if you have to fake it or by waiting until winter to molt and go bald. Either way you get house privilege's and waited on hand and foot.

I tell you all I'm doing you a service by not letting them know beakbook exists.
Does Jaffar know your address? I saw him writing something this morning, with a stamped envelope beside it. :confused:
I couldn’t read what he was writing (really bad chicken scratch) :eek:

Back
Top Bottom